Jia was making all types of baby sounds, asking to be put down — all she wanted to do was to crawl or stand up, to try walking.

"No, bub." Said Kaycee, trying to keep the child on her lap — she took a deep breath, resting her head against the wall behind her chair.

"You look tired." His voice brought her back to reality.

"Gee, thanks." She said sarcastically. "You look great too by the way."

"That's not what I meant... I mean..." He sighed. "Forget it."

"No, please, say it, Sean." She didn't want to sound so harsh, but she simply couldn't avoid it.

"Just... just wanted to know if you are alright." He said.

"No, Sean..." She answered, standing up with her daughter as she noticed Gabe was coming out. "I'm not."

She didn't wait for his answer or for Gabe to say anything, she knew Jia was next so she simply walked past both of them to the other room. Jia cried once they took her blood and so did Kaycee — she had always been weak when it came to seeing her baby in pain.

She thought neither of them would be there once she was out but they were both there, waiting for her as if she needed them or something.

Kaycee was about to say goodbye to them and leave when a nurse came to talk with them. "Hi, I just wanted to let you know that the results take a while to get ready, it will probably be ready in around fourteen days. And we will give you a call to get the results, do you wanna leave just one number to pick up or three?"

"It can be just mine." Said Kaycee, before any of them could say anything.

"Alright then, we will give you a call miss Rice." Said the nurse, before leaving them.

Kaycee turned to them, quickly. "Okay then, bye."

"Wait," said Gabe. "I want to get the results too, and I was kind of wondering if I could take Jia to see my mom."

"It doesn't matter who gets the results." She sighed, turning around again. "and I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not? Is her grandmother, as far as we know she still mines." He said, angrily whispering.

"Hey, come down..." Said Sean getting in between. "Don't talk with her like that, and also, you don't know that.

"Thanks but I don't need for you to defend me-"

Gabe overtalked her, turning to Sean. "She has my last name, I'm her father so I would suggest for you to back off, she's mine."

"If you were so sure of that we wouldn't be taking a DNA test, hun?" Said Sean. "Se could be mine."

"She's mi-"

"Shut up both of you! " She said interrupting their little fight. "She's not yours and she's not yours!" She pointed fingers at each one of them, clearly angry and tired of this mess. "She's mine!"

"No matter the results in this test, she's mine." She said sounding more serious than both of them had ever seen.

Kaycee didn't wait for them to say anything else, she sat her baby tightly and started to walk to her car. She knew she was being followed — but there was no need for her to look behind her to know who it was.

He ran a bit, going around her and standing in front of her. "Can we talk, please?"

"Of course... once the results are out." She said trying to walk away but he stood in the way once more.

"Please, let me explain things better to you." He said and if it was in any other day or five minutes before, that soft voice together with his kind puppy eyes would have melted her in instants.

But this time it didn't — she looked at the time on her phone. "I could, Sean but you would be late to get your girlfriend at the airport."

He was so surprised by her words that she managed to distract him and walk away.

She set her daughter in the car seat, then sat inside the driver seat and cried — she cried for twenty minutes as her daughter watched cartoon's in the back seat.

"Get it together, Kaycee."  She said to herself as she cleaned her tears and took a deep breath, turning around to talk with her daughter. "What about some ice cream, bub?"

"mama mama." The little girl said as she pointed to cartoons, making Kaycee laugh.

"Yeah baby, mommy loves baby shark too." She said before turning the car on. "Let's get us some ice cream."

***
(please don't forget to comment and vote if you liked 💛🌼)