seventeen

Despite Kaycee's wishes, the so-talked Friday finally came for them to take de DNA test, and she would have never believed she wouldn't want to see them — neither Gabe nor Sean. 

Being completely honest, she wasn't quite sure if she had any rights to be angry at Sean — they weren't dating and he asked for them to wait, she was the one that pushed for a kiss, so yeah, she knew that technically she had no right to be mad at him.

But then again, he could have told her and she would have waited for him, she'd been waiting for him for so long that just a few more weeks wouldn't make a difference. They could have done this together as they always did everything — she wasn't upset at him for being with Tate still, she was upset at him because he decided to hide it from her and lie instead.

"Hi, hm... I came for a paternity DNA test." She said to the receptionist — her daughter in her arms.

"Name of the child and the forms please?" The lady asked — Kaycee feared to be judged but was surprised to found a very sweet person.

"Jia Rain De Guzman Rice." She said the full name of her daughter and gave all the forms Gabe sent to her house, as the woman typed a bunch of things.

"Alright then, Ms. Rice, you just have to wait in the waiting room behind that door. Someone is gonna call Jia's name for the blood sample." She said with a bright smile on her face.

"Thanks." Said Kaycee, before waking to the next room.

To her surprise, only Gabe was sitting in the other room. It was a very nice place, white and comfortable chairs, grey walls, and fancy pictures hanging — she scanned the room looking for someone else.

"He is inside already," Gabe answered, taking his eyes from a magazine. "Giving his sample."

Kaycee nodded — placing her backpack on the floor and sitting with Jia on her lap. "Did you gave yours?"

"Not yet." He said, focusing on the child as he noticed she started to ask for the magazine in his lap. "Hi, do you want this?"

Gabe started to play with her as if he would give the magazine to her, only he never did, making the little girl laugh every time — it was the first time Kaycee had seen Jia being so comfortable around him, and it was nice. Deep down she hated all of this mess of angriness around her daughter.

"Uhg..." Sean's entrancing in the room made the playtime between Gabe and Jia come to an end — somehow Kaycee felt ashamed for him to witness such a moment.

"They called you in." Said Sean, talking to Gabe.

"Thanks." Said Gabe, standing before giving Jia the magazine. "There, daddy will let you keep that."

Kaycee almost flinched at his nickname for the child, a second before all of his affection towards the little girl sounded so real, and now it sounded forced and fake, something to try and prove a point — the point that Jia is his, at least until they prove otherwise.

Gabe left the waiting room to give his blood sample and neither Sean nor Kaycee knew how to act around each other — he sat to wait, three empty chairs between them as if they were serving as a place for the awkward silence.