Chapter Twelve: Art is an Explosion

Začít od začátku

A bottle of water was thrown at her, and she caught it mid-air.

"Thanks," she mused and nodded to Maki, who didn't reply. "How long have I been out?"

Her friend crossed her arms over her chest.

"Three days," she revealed, face stoic. "You were lying on the ground, alone and surrounded by fallen trees. You looked on the verge of death, but someone had treated some of your wounds." Upon catching sight of the astonishment reflected on Rei's features, she sighed. "I don't understand it, either. But you would've died had it not been because of them, so let's just think of it as a miracle."

Shaking off her stupor, Rei pointed to Kazuo with her head. "What about him?"

Maki frowned.

"I don't know—those clones... they were very strong, no matter how fake they were." She pursed her lips. "That fight left me breathless, and then I turn around to find him standing there, leaning against a tree. Said he didn't want to interfere, but take a look at him — no scratch whatsoever on his body. Do you think he's got a trick up his sleeve, like a forbidden technique or something? Oh, but you won, right? Ryu was nowhere — I wanted to kick him in the gut... I hate him a lot. So, what happened to him?"

Rei stared at her with wide eyes, mentally wondering how she was able to speak so many words in a single breath.

Clearing her throat, she voiced, "He exploded."

"Expl—like... boom?" Maki puffed her cheeks and threw her arms around, earning herself a short laugh from her friend.

"Yes, just like that."

She hummed while shaking his head. "He was truly insane."

No kidding.

Rei nodded in agreement, before a frown worked its way to her face as suspicion showered upon her. Her friend had not faced her ever since she had woken up, not even spared her a glance.

"Maki?" she called. Confusion graced her voice, and Maki winced visibly. "What's wrong?"

Finally, the girl caved in and turned to her and clenched her hands into fists. "I'm sorry, Rei! I treated your injuries the best I could, but–"

Her throat seemed to close up at that point, and her eyes drifted towards the left side of her face. Unconsciously, Rei reached her hand up towards it, only to grimace as her fingertips touched the skin. It was tender; too tender and sensitive.

She ignored her friend's shout and approached the crystal waters, then glanced at the surface. Her face reflected on it, and her heart gave a loud thump when she caught a glimpse of that left side Maki seemed to be making a fuss about. The skin was darker, burnt due to the explosion. Fortunately, it hadn't damaged her eye, but the scar went from above her left eyebrow down to the right cheek.

"I really can't do anything about that." Maki was taken aback when the girl waved a hand dismissively.

"I don't mind it. Besides, it's not that noticeable, right?"

Her friend beamed and shook her head vigorously. "It isn't. Actually gives you a frightening look."

They fell into a comfortable silence, until Rei realised something and ran a hand through her messy hair in apprehension.

"We shouldn't be resting. We still need to find—" she cut herself off when Maki smirked knowingly and pulled out a white scroll.

"I guess I forgot to tell you. This was standing beside you," she put forth. "Almost looked like it was mocking you."

Her eye twitched, and she cursed under her breath.

"Another miracle, maybe?" Maki insisted, to which the Koizumi girl snorted in disbelief.

Maybe not.

She turned around to motion Kazuo over; and he soon approached, signature grin on as usual. However, as she observed him, Rei noticed something about his smile was different.

It didn't quite reach his eyes.

--

Ryu rolled his shoulders and winced in pain as they complained. Although he had been waiting to fight Rei for days, he found himself wanting more. That battle had been too short-lived, and even though he knew the reason why—the girl had yet a lot to learn—, he could not help but feel disappointed.

Still, that technique was unexpected, he thought as he casted a glance at his arms; small, purple wounds decorated the skin there where wind had struck.

Stopping by a tree, he asked out-loud, "Was it enough?"

A dark chuckle echoed behind him, and he turned around to face a strange being. It seemed to grow from the earth itself; making creaking noises as a wide, green head split in two like a carnivorous plant would and a human head appeared from within.

"Congrants on not blowing up your cover, Deidara," it spoke in a light, joking voice. "You must return to the base now."

Ryu —no, ​Deidara huffed in annoyance, yet rounded on his feet and created a giant bird out of his clay.

"Whatever, hn."

Then, he took off.

I'll be seeing you soon, pretty eyes.