Chapter Twelve: Art is an Explosion

Depuis le début

"Sorry, sorry," he wheezed before forming some hand signs, causing a wave of electricity to emerge from his fingers. "It's just so great to loosen up."

The earth cracked under his lightening, and she mentally cursed.

"Just because I've been watching you, I know what the flaws of that bloodline of yours are." He paused, as if to add drama into the situation. "It's useless against abstract things, hn!"

As quick as possible, she propelled herself up and avoided the shook of electricity that flew from the ground towards her. While floating mid air with the help of her bloodline, she formed hand sings.

Wind Style: Whirlwind Drop.

A giant vortex appeared out of nowhere, startling Ryu as it began swirling around him. Its force lifted him from the ground, scratching his skin and zapping him with no mercy. And as her hand lowered to point downwards, so did the whirlwind, sending him crashing into the ground.

But there was no trace of the boy when the wind stopped spinning. Surprised, she glanced around. She was sure she had hit him; she had felt them: the strikes against his flesh.

"That was beautiful, hn." Rei looked up, and her eyes widened at the sight of white birds flying towards her. "But I will show you what true art is."

Her hands clapped together, and a powerful gale of wind was built in front of her. Sweat formed on her forehead as she directed it towards the fake animals — were they made by clay? She was starting to feel the side-effects of using the Seigyo for such a long period of time; her chakra was wearing down, and her strength was slowly leaving her body.

Suddenly, the birds exploded above her, creating a large amount of black smoke that obscured her eyesight. Unable to find him, she used her last bit of chakra to locate him in the woods...

Not expecting the chuckles that echoed behind her.

"Art is an explosion."

And then, he exploded.

--

Her eyes opened gradually, and she blinked in an attempt to adjust them to the bright light.

"You're awake!" someone exclaimed, causing Rei to wince.

"Stop yelling in my ear, Kazuo."

The boy gave a sheepish grin and apologized, then started assaulting her with questions about her fight and Ryu.

Much to his dismay, the brunette ignored him and remained lying on the solid ground. There was a thoughtful expression plastered on her bloodied features, and her eyebrows were furrowed into a deep frown. She placed an arm over her eyes and sighed, overwhelmed by disturbing emotions and thoughts.

Every hour she had spent training had been tested during the fight with the strange boy, and its outcome had left both physical and psychological scars. She felt frustrated, angry even.

Then, she remembered the last thing she had seen before losing consciousness.

Is he really dead, though?

For some reason, Rei was under the impression the Iwagakure ninja had had a hidden intention when he had challenged her. As much as she hated to admit, she knew he had been playing with her during the whole event.

Ryu.

She doubted that was even his real name, but she didn't care about such trivial things at that moment. He had talked a lot, said things she couldn't comprehend.

He was messing with your head, and it looks like he's succeeded; she told herself.

Letting out an irritated grunt, Rei forced herself to sit up and glanced around to see they were by a river. From her spot, she could see Maki as the girl splashed some water on her face. Kazuo was sitting some feet away, staring off into distance with an expression that she had never seen on his face; so void of emotions.