Chapter 44: Houdini

Start from the beginning

"Hold them back!" Peridot shouted suddenly. "Don't let them catch up!"

I thought I heard something break and fall to the ground. A tree, maybe. I heard the grunt of someone quickly jumping out of the way and stumbling as they continued to run. I heard Peridot growl.

"Damn it," she cursed, holding me closer.

"Wh-what's going on?" I asked nervously as my grip on her became tighter.

"They're trying to take down some of the wolves," Peridot answered. "They almost got Pink there. Lucky for us she's the youngest—and the most agile."

"She barely dodged it?" I asked.

"Just barely," Peridot answered. "She's catching up now. Just about ahead of brunette."

"And Topaz?" I asked.

I heard Peridot turn her head back. "Catching up to blue hair," she answered.

For a moment, I stayed silent, letting Peridot concentrate on running. She held me even closer, this time holding my head in her hand. She grunted in frustration from who knows what, and I felt the bumpiness of the running suddenly go away. It came back quickly, causing my head to jerk forward slightly. We had jumped over something. She had just landed.

"We shouldn't have to go too much farther," she said to me. "We just need to be far enough to where it'll take them a few minutes to reach the house. We can beat them there."

"So how much longer?" I asked.

"Likely about another minute," Peridot answered. "Then Agate's taking you. Get ready. It may not exactly be the most smooth transition."

I felt us speeding up, as the wind was blowing harder against my hair. I shivered, and Peridot held me nice and close, allowing her warmth to work its magic on me.

"We're almost there," she whispered gently. "Not much longer."

"I love you," I hissed, tightening my grip on her even more.

"I love you too," Peridot whispered in reply. "Stay safe for me, please."

"I'll try," I said. "I'll be looking forward to when you come back."

I heard the werewolves approaching us. The first step of the diversion. They were gathering around us, creating a crowd. Peridot's grip on me became looser. I unwillingly loosened mine. I would soon be handed over to Agate. No longer with Peridot, but I would be with my baby.

The transition was quick and unexpected. A few jerks around, and, suddenly, I felt Agate turning back and running off. I could hear the ever so quiet pitter-patter of Pink following behind us. We were heading back to the house, about to leave again. We were going to go somewhere safer, where the vampires were not at the moment. Surely they wouldn't notice my absence until the wolves had lead them far beyond my father's house's reach.

A few minutes of bitter cold wind later, I heard the front door to the house swing open, and I was set down on the wooden floor. Dad's heavy footsteps approached, followed by Turquoise's excited little noises. I took her from my father, giving her the quick serving of attention she wanted before we got into the car.

"Pink and I are up front," Agate said to my father. "We're in charge while Peridot's gone. We'll be waiting outside when we arrive at Yellow's."

"Okay," Dad responded, raising an eyebrow.

"Do you have a child's seat in your car?" Agate asked.

"Yes," Dad answered. "Just in case Lapis came with Turquoise."