Chapter 7: Change

I spent another morning throwing up with Peridot trying to take care of me. She helped me get back into bed and let me lay down.

"Go to sleep if you need to," she said. "Just take it easy. If you need anything, let me know."

"O-okay," I replied.

I hated this. We had been here for ten days, and this was the third day I was sick. Every single time, I was sick in the morning, and without medicine—and yesterday, even without a nap—it cleared up in the afternoon, and I was fine until the next morning. Peridot was being so kind to me, as usual. She constantly came in to check on me and made me whatever strange meal I asked for. She still hadn't gotten used to it. It was just the day before that she complained about those meals. I didn't take any offense to it. In fact, I found the whole rant funny.

The bad part of this was that I still had a headache, and I was getting really crazy mood swings. I managed to get myself mad at Peridot when she was doing nothing other than peacefully sitting next to me. I could see that she was starting to become more concerned and more protective as I continued to act up. I was getting concerned about myself as well.

"Do you want anything to eat?" Peridot asked.

I shook my head. "I-I don't feel like eating," I answered, sniffling.

"It's okay," Peridot said. "Remember, if you need to throw up, throw up in the bowl. If you need anything, call my name. I'll come help you."

My nausea got worse in that very second. I leaned over the bowl and threw up once more. Peridot carefully laid her hand on my back and sighed.

"Poor girl," she whispered.

"I-I don't feel good," I said.

"I know, I know," Peridot responded. "Do you need to take a bath? I'm sure washing some of this off would help you."

"That sounds nice," I answered.

Peridot picked me up and carried me to the bathroom. She placed me down on the bathmat and pulled off my shirt. I looked away and sighed.

"Hey," Peridot said. "It's okay. I'm taking care of you."

"I just feel terrible," I responded. "Physically and emotionally. I feel really sick, and I feel bad that you're spending the incredible vacation you planned for both of us taking care of me when I'm this sick. I pretty much ruined your perfect vacation."

"You can't control yourself getting sick," Peridot said. "Plus, I'm actually enjoying taking care of you. I feel like it's training for being married to you. I like it."

"Even making spaghetti for breakfast?" I asked.

"Even making spaghetti for breakfast," Peridot answered. "That's probably the most normal meal you've requested. Plain spaghetti for breakfast."

"I don't know why I've been asking for stuff like that," I said.

"I don't know either, but at the moment, I'm worried more about your sickness than your meal requests," Peridot replied.

When I had no more clothes on, Peridot picked me up again and put me in the bathtub.

"Can you handle yourself, or do you still need me?" She asked.

"I think I can handle myself," I answered.

Peridot kissed my head. "Call me if you need me," she said.

Peridot stood up and walked out of the bathroom, closing the door behind her. I turned on the faucet and let the tub fill with warm water. It felt so nice and relaxing. It was a near perfect treatment. Soon, I didn't even feel sick anymore.