Chapter 26: Home

"Careful!" I hissed as Lapis helped me place the large cardboard box on the floor. "These are big windows. You don't want to break them."

"Don't worry," Lapis replied. "I got it."

We placed the large boxes on the coffee table. They would be staying there for a while. I wouldn't be able to install them until I was done building the outer structure of the house.

"What now?" Lapis asked.

"I need to start getting to work," I answered. "Do you think you can handle being alone for a bit?"

"Yeah," Lapis responded, raising her eyebrow. "Did you see that your mom got me a heating blanket? It was pretty cool."

"Sweet," I said.

I began to walk towards the door. I needed to begin my work.

"Wait!" Lapis cried.

"Yes?" I turned around.

"...will you be back later?" Lapis asked.

I sighed, approaching her. I held her close so she was laying her head on my chest, and I kissed her forehead.

"I'm probably not gonna be back until tonight, honey," I said.

"Peri," Lapis whispered.

I kissed her head. "Don't worry. Once I'm done getting the things I need, I'll be across the beach. You'll be able to walk to see me," I said.

"Okay," Lapis replied. "Just stay safe, okay?"

"I'll be fine," I said. "You don't need to worry about me." I shot her a smile.

Lapis's face flushed with red. She looked away, twirling her hair. I found myself smiling even more.

"See you tonight," I said, walking out the door.

I picked up the axe that I had laid on the ground and carefully slung it over my shoulder. Then I was running. My destination was the forest. The deep forest. The part of the forest where the trees were dark. I ran in, every light tree flying by. The grass felt good on my feet. It was soft, and it kind of tickled. Eventually, I was in the deep forest. Surrounding me were trees with dark wood. Exactly what I was looking for. I walked up to one of the trees, inspecting it. It was a good size. Perfect for the house. I swung my axe back behind me, then forward as hard as I could. The axe cut through about a quarter of the trunk. It would take a few more hits to get it to come down. I hit it again, once more, and yet again, and it came down. I was sure someone outside of the forest would be able to hear it. I chuckled. I continued to do the same with other dark-wooded trees until I felt like I had enough to build the outline of the house. I carried tree trunks back to the beach a few at a time until I had brought all of them back. Lapis seemed to notice that I had come back, and she ran out toward me. I reached toward her with a smile. How cute. She jumped into my arms, resting her head on my chest and smiling that sweet smile of hers.

"Come on," I said. "I haven't been gone that long."

"I'm not used to you being gone at all," Lapis replied. "You're normally always with me."

"I'll be doing that again when I'm done with this," I said. "I just need to build it. Plus, you're normally fine without me. Did something happen?"

"She started kicking again," Lapis answered. "A lot."

"Aw," I said. "Do you think you could give me some time to get started on this? I promise I'll be back later."

"Okay," Lapis replied. "Actually...I-I was going to ask if I could watch." Her face flushed.