Chapter 1: Break

I walked down the hall with Amethyst and Pearl. We were laughing about the joke that Amethyst had just told. She was known for her rather twisted sense of humor, after all. We continued to walk towards the exit. We were all ready for the vacation that was still a day away.

"You and Peridot are still together?" Amethyst asked.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Dang," Amethyst said. "You two aren't nearly as dramatic as everyone else. It's not fun enough to talk about you two."

I nodded. "Uh huh," I responded. "Not dramatic."

Not like we fought vampires or anything.

"You two gonna get married right when you graduate?" Amethyst asked.

"Peridot promised," I answered. "Though she never gave a specific date. She just promised we'd get married."

"And when did she promise?" Pearl asked.

"August," I answered.

"And she still promises?" Amethyst asked.

"Yeah," I answered. "Sometimes she likes to ask me what I'd like on a ring. It's actually kind of sweet, despite graduation being three months away."

"Three months will come quickly," Pearl said. "I wouldn't doubt that. You may be her girlfriend now, but, some day soon, she'll be on one knee proposing to you."

"And then you'll realize how stupid of an idea that is," Amethyst added, grinning.

I rolled my eyes. None of my friends at school understood imprints, nor were they allowed to understand. I had to deal with them making fun of me. Venting to Peridot had helped me with that, but it still bugged me. I wanted them to understand. I wasn't allowed to tell. It was for the safety of the werewolves and the safety of humans. That was the rule.

"Are you gonna be around during break?" Amethyst asked.

"I'm not sure," I replied, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Peridot will probably have something planned. I'd have to get her word before I can make any plans with you guys."

"Why do you always wait for her?" Amethyst asked.

"She's a person that likes to do big things," I answered. "It's not just stuff I can skip. Plus, we've both been busy with studying lately. We haven't really gotten to see each other as much as we would have liked."

"Will you still make some time for us?" Amethyst asked.

"Of course," I answered. "You guys are my friends. I'll make time for you."

"I think your bride is over there," Amethyst said.

"She probably is," I replied.

We approached the door, where Peridot indeed was. That crooked smile of hers appeared on her face. If she were a wolf, she would have been wagging her tail.

"Lapis," she said.

"You're excited," I responded, walking in front of her.

"I always get excited when I see you," Peridot said. "That's a normal thing."

"Where are we going for vacation?" I asked, holding her hand.

"Haven't decided yet," Peridot responded. "I'm definitely going to do something big though, that's for sure."

"So no plans with my friends?" I asked.

Peridot's expression contorted, and she rubbed the back of her neck. "That's cruel," she said. "Sh-should I cancel?"