The Ackermans

Magsimula sa umpisa

When I turn back, Mikasa and Armin are in front of me. I step aside to let them meet Hange and Levi.

"You guys know about Hange already", I smile sheepishly, rubbing the back of my head.

"Hello Hange", Armin extends his hand. "Eren kinda tore our ears off talking about you. It's a pleasure to finally meet in person."

Hange laughs. "I tear people's ears off talking about him too. Ask this guy", they point at Levi.

"Oh right", I cut them off. "He's Hange's friend– "

"Levi", Mikasa says calmly.

"Mikasa", Levi replies, equally calm.

I stare at them, wide eyed.

So they do know each other!

"Ahh...uhm...", I try to get the words out of my mouth. But for some reason my tongue has forgotten how to produce any legible sound.

"You guys know each other?!" Hange asks instead. I watch as their gaze alternates between the two Ackermans, gleaming with curiosity.

"..."

"..."

Great! The 'awkward silence' scene is playing now.

"Mikasa?" this time Armin interjects.

"He's..." she hesitates for a moment. "...a distant relative."

I watch Mikasa, then Levi. It looks like they've started a staring contest, eyes fixed on each other. Not blinking, not wavering. The tension in the air is so thick, it's almost tangible.

So, Hange and Mikasa both are my friends. Levi is Hange's friend. And Mikasa and Levi are distant relatives. Who are not in very good terms, as it seems. Ugh! Why is everyone related to everyone?! Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll find out Armin is somehow Hange's second cousin or something.

My head hurts.

"Well, that was a nice surprise", I hear Armin say, trying to break the tension. Hange nods their head enthusiastically.

"Hahah..." I try to laugh, but all I manage to do is sound like I suddenly have stomach ache.

"So how long are you guys staying?" the question is directed at Hange. "We could show you around."

Oh Armin! You're a life saver!

"Actually, we're leaving tomorrow."

Wait, what?

I stare at Hange disbelievingly. They can't be serious, right? I mean, I just met them yesterday after so long! And... if Hange's going, that means–

Levi!

"Hange, don't be silly! You can't leave so soon!" I blurt out, panic taking over my mind. My body feels numb, except a foreign feeling of dread sitting at the pit of my stomach.

"Sorry Eren", Hange looks at me, eyes apologetic. "We could only take three days off from work, and Stohess is quite a long way from here. So..."

"But–"

Hange pinches my cheeks to cut me off, then ruffles my hair. They squint their eyes as their lips curve into a genuine smile.

No more words are needed.

So they really are leaving. It's not like I don't understand their situation. They have their own lives there, and this was just a short visit for Hange to make peace with their past. And Levi, he just happened to come with her. My meeting Levi was just a coincidence, nothing more. It's too foolish to think that this was all destiny. That somehow it was meant to happen.