Chapter 37 : Glass

I will be waiting here.
For your silence to break.
For your soul to shake.
For your love to wake.
-Rumi
________________________________

'She's vanished without a trace?'  Ziyan questions me. He is seated across with his legs folded under him, a jumbo size pack of chips in his hand. He had stopped munching on them once I revealed about Lisa's adoption. It had been an hour since I got home and narrated the whole story.

'Why is Aylin being rude? She used to be fine before.' Eliza quips.

My siblings though they don't volunteer, are familiar with Smile and all its residents owing to me. Each day after I got home I used to gush about the ongoings at Smile. Over dinner, I would narrate hilarious incidents of the kids or share their milestones with my family.

'They don't understand, you have been volunteering since you were sixteen. It's like you grew up with them.' Eliza wails.

'Adoptions are recorded?' Ziyan asks.

'Obviously, they have to be.' Eliza rolls her eyes.

'They have an archive?' He asks again.

'I think I saw a shelving cabinet in Amaro's office.' I recollect his room.

'Great!' Ziyan says gleefully causing Eliza and I to look at him suspiciously.

'I don't see the greatness?' Eliza arches her eyebrows.

'Only great people can see the greatness in others.' Ziyan says childishly. Eliza throws a cushion at him.

'My dear sisters, we are going to break in.'

My eyes widen, 'No way, don't you remember how we were almost hauled to the police station for breaking in?' I ask.

'And I was the one who saved your asses. You don't have to, I'll go. No one there recognizes me or knows I'm related to you.'

'It's going to be easy, perhaps I can ask Arhaan for help. He can distract the night guard. Amaro wouldn't be inside the office that late, leaving me free to enter.' He says. I put my head into my hands, my mind conjuring up numerous ways how this plan could go awry.

'Does Aylin stay at Smile?' His eyes are alight as he plans things. I can see him choose then discard ideas as he sits up then slumps back down again.

'Yes, she has a room near the dormitory where she sleeps. She wouldn't be at the reception at night.' I answer.

'What are you three whispering for?' Mama's sharp voice breaks into our discussion.

I twist my fingers tugging at them as I gape at mama. 'Uh... mama we...' I have never been good with lies.

'Nothing, mama. Sibling stuff.' Ziyan grins at her very innocently. He clasps his hands together and rests his chin on them, blinking at her. She seems to buy his act like she always does and I roll my eyes.

'Eliza you haven't cleared your stack of heels from the front door. I do not want my guests tripping over them.' Mama turns her attention to my little sister.

Eliza clasps her hands and rests her chin on them imitating Ziyan. She blinks at mama and says with a grin, 'Tomorrow?'

'No, right this minute. Off you go.' Mama says sternly. She pouts, flicks her long black, hair and walks out glaring at Ziyan.