19. Healing

When Snotlout noticed Melanie beginning to tremble, he frowned in empathy and gently pointed her face toward his. "Hey, it's okay," he cooed, "Gothi's gonna fix you all up."

Melanie relaxed when her emerald eyes met his sapphires. She took a deep breath, "okay." Keeping her eyes focused on Snotlout, she felt Gothi begin to wrap her back up in fresh bandages. Once the wounds were covered, she was back to her old self. "I wanna go see Dagur and Heather; am I allowed to walk?" She asked with an innocent smile.

Gothi thought for a moment, but decided to shake her head 'no'; although her wounds were doing much better, one wrong move could cause infection to sprout or bleeding to start again. Melanie frowned and pouted. "I'll go get them, Mel," Snotlout offered. He then turned to the twins and spoke half threateningly, "keep an eye on her, and don't do anything stupid."

Melanie sighed and accepted the offer. "Oh fine," she rolled her eyes before shooting him a charming grin, "be back soon."

Snotlout melted under her gaze. Bending down, he planted a soft kiss on her forehead and promised, "I will." Then he was off.

Tuffnut gave Melanie a look of disgust while Ruff was covering her eyes. "Is it over? Is he gone?" She asked.

Tuff gave his sister an elbow nudge, "the coast is clear." He then gave her a look of irritation, "next time they kiss, you keep a look out and I'll cover my eyes."

Although she wasn't happy about it, Ruff sighed in defeat, "fine, I guess that's only fair."

Melanie gave them a smile and approved, "good plan." Bones then snorted a puff of smoke through the window. Melanie coughed and waved the smoke away, "oh, come on, I haven't forgotten about you, Bones." The boneknapper stuck his snout inside and licked up Melanie's side, causing her to giggle. "Good boy," she praised, then she began to converse with the twins.

• • •

Snotlout entered the Great Hall in search of Dagur and Heather. He found that a few Vikings were eating their dinners, while Hiccup had Melanie's older siblings at the back of the Great Hall. After spotting them, he marched over.

"Woah, Snotlout? You actually left Gothi's hut?" The new chief teased when he saw his friend approaching.

"Ha ha, so funny," Snotlout responded monotonously. Then, with more enthusiasm, he explained why he was there, "Melanie wants to talk to you guys again." He gestured to the Berserkers.

Heather frowned sorrowfully as she replied, "oh, I wish we could right now, but we're in the middle of something."

"Well, I doubt Melanie will take that as an answer," Snotlout muttered as he tried to think of a way to get the two to come with him, "she can be pretty stubborn."

Dagur chuckled, "I'm sure she can." He threw an arm around Snotlout's shoulders and went on, "tell her we'll come by before we leave, would you, Snothat?" Rolling his eyes, Snotlout wiggled out from under Dagur's arm and growled in annoyance. "Tell her we're discussing, uh..a surprise," he suggested.

"A surprise?" Snotlout repeated, raising an eyebrow at Hiccup. He waited for an explanation, but none came. "Alright, alright," he gave up, "just, try to hurry; I don't want her trying to come find you herself."

As if qued by his words, the doors of the Great Hall opened and in walked Melanie, a twin on either side. Snotlout's jaw dropped as he watched them walked over to the group.

"Melanie!" Snotlout spoke in nervousness and irritation. She stood next to him and gave him an innocent grin. Snotlout rolled his eyes and gave the twins a death glare as he hissed, "you were supposed to keep her in Gothi's hut!"

"Actually, if I recall correctly.." Tuffnut began.

"You only said to keep an eye on her," Ruff continued, crossing her arms, "which we're doing."

Snotlout growled, "ugh, mutton-heads.."

"Hey, you're looking pretty good for having just been attacked by a dragon five days ago," Heather complimented with an impressed smile.

"That old lady is magic!" Melanie spoke in seriousness and awe.

Snotlout couldn't help but chuckle at this. Dagur also laughed, "well, let's get you back to that 'old lady'." He turned to Hiccup and asked, "mind if we finish this conversation later?"

Hiccup smiled crookedly and chuckled, "it can wait."

"Thanks, Hiccup," Heather spoke gratefully.

Just then, Melanie suddenly sat on the floor and heaved a sigh. Snotlout knelt beside her and asked knowingly, "does it hurt?"

Melanie gave him a guilty look, but responded, "..no.." It was the most obvious lie she'd ever told. Snotlout shook his head and grinned in amusement. Melanie stood back up and pushed on, "come on, if you're gonna make me go back, do it while I'm actually willing." She teasingly stuck her tongue out at Snotlout.

He took her hand and began to lead her back out of the Great Hall. He and the three siblings then began to walk back to Gothi's hut together.