14. Waging War

Melanie pulled away just enough to look into Snotlout's face. Her eyes were wider than he'd ever seen and her face blushed red. For the first time ever, he saw Melanie completely caught off guard and embarrassed. "I love you, too, Snotlout.." She muttered shyly.

Snotlout chuckled and leaned forward to kiss her, to which she gladly accepted. "Ugh, get a room," Ruff shouted in disgust.

"This was a lot more fun when they were swinging swords at each other," Tuffnut muttered to his sister.

Snotlout pulled away from Melanie to yell at the twins, "why are you two mutton-heads still here?!"

The brother and sister scoffed then ran off. Snotlout then looked back to Melanie with lidded eyes, "now, where were we?"

With a small giggled, Melanie kissed him once again. They moved in sync, a gentle pressure pulsing between their mouths. His lips were dry and warm against her own. Butterflies rushed through her middle as Snotlout pressed her body into his own. She sighed against his lips, letting herself go completely.

But eventually, it had to end. Melanie pulled back and looked deeply into Snotlout's eyes. "I'm glad I washed up on Berk," she told him dreamily.

"Yeah," Snotlout replied, still astonished by her beautiful face, "yeah I am, too."

But before they knew what was happening, they heard Stoick shouting through the village. Immediately, the moment turned serious. Snotlout grabbed Melanie by the hand and pulled her along with him out of the arena. Everyone was rushing to the Dragon Hanger on the Chief's orders.

Melanie quickly pulled out her whistle and called for Bones. The boneknapper was there within the minute. She climbed onto him and called to Snotlout, "where's Hookfang?"

"He should already be there," Snotlout assured her as he, too, made his way onto Bones' neck. The dragon then flew them to the Hanger and walked inside. People and dragons were everywhere. "Hiccup," Snotlout called upon the sight of their friend, "what's going on?"

With a grave look in his eyes, Hiccup briefly explained that Drago Bludvist was building an army of dragons, and that his father was overreacting. Then before his father could stop him, he and Astrid flew off.

"Awe, I wanna go, too," Melanie pouted as the door finished closing.

Snotlout, however, was much more serious than usual. "Mel, I know you can't really tell, but this is big," he told her gently with a frown, taking her small hand into his.

"Big?" She wondered.

"Yes, like serious," Snotlout explained, "..there could be a war."

Melanie frowned. It was the first time he'd seen her frown in actual seriousness. And it hurt him; to see the joy and carelessness wash from her face was heart-breaking. "But it's gonna be okay," he told her, trying to cheer her back up, "Hiccup's gonna figure this out; he always finds a way. And I won't let anything happen to you."

Pulling Melailnie into a protective hug, Snotlout vowed to himself to keep her safe. No matter what was about to go down, he would make sure lived through it.

There was a sudden groan from behind Melanie. She wiggled out of Snotlout's grasp to find Bones nuzzling her comfortingly. Finally, her smile returned. "Heh, that tickles, Bones," she squirmed away, laughing.

Snotlout chuckled as well as Melanie leaned her back into his chest. He took her hands and crossed them over her middle, taking her left into his right and vise versa. "Are you hungry?" He asked Melanie, knowing she hadn't eaten yet that day.

Melanie looked as if she just remembered something important and stated, "oh, wow, I really am."

Twirling her once, Snotlout let her out of his arms and offered dramatically, "shall we eat then, m'lady?" With a giggle from Melanie, the two walked over to meet the other riders and find some food.

• • •

The next morning, Chief left with Gobber and the riders to find Hiccup and Astrid. Once the trapper ship was in view the others landed while Melanie circled from above on Bones to keep a look out. But after a short argument, Melanie watched Hiccup and Toothless fly away once again. Then Stoick and Gobber whooshed by her on either side, back in the direction of Berk.

Astrid, however, had convinced him to let them stay out and look for Hiccup. So together, everyone gathered with their dragons on a small sea stack about a mile from the trappers' ship.

"Maybe we should try to talk to the dragon trappers like Hiccup did?" Fishlegs suggested.

"Yeah? Look how that worked out," Snotlout retorted.

A moan of agony erupted from Ruffnut suddenly, "ugh, Eret son of Eret was the man of my dreams!"

Fishlegs' jaw dropped as he spoke brokenly, "b-but I grew facial hair for you."

Watching the odd interaction, Melanie looked over to Snotlout and wondered, "would you grow facial hair for me?"

Snotlout smiled in amusement at how seriously she seemed to be taking it. Finally he offered with a sly grin, "sure, if you like that kind thing." He pulled her side into his by her waist making her laugh.