10. Caves and Confessions

Behind the waterfall was a shallow cave. "Woah.." Melanie breathed, a smile creeping onto her face.

After setting her down on the stone surface, Snotlout climbed up out of the water as well. "Thought you'd like this," he spoke with a proud grin.

There were a few fireworms scurrying about, giving the cave a dim yellow glow. "It's so mysterious," Melanie scanned the surrounding stone in awe. Then her eyes landed on a good sized pile of wood next to what looked to be an old firepit.

"I used to come here when I was a kid," Snotlout began, a smile of memory on his lips, "it was the only place on the whole island that was just mine." Melanie gave him a look of fascination. "In fact, I'll make a fire," he went on, "I'm sure you're just as freezing as I am."

Melanie watched the handsome Viking pile a few logs onto the black burn spot. He then took off his helmet and walked over to a fireworm on the wall. Quickly, so not to get burned, he swatted in into his helmet and poured it onto the logs. The tiny dragon heated up in frustration, just enough to start a fire, then crawled away.

"Resourceful," Melanie complimented as she removed her vest, which was heavy with water. She then took off her leggings, leaving her in her long shirt and a pair of thin shorts.

"Uh, what are you doing?" Snotlout asked, panic in his voice.

"They're making me colder," Melanie responded matter-of-factly. She draped them over a single log next to the fire to allow them to dry quicker.

Snotlout felt stupid for a moment before agreeing, "oh, right, good idea." He took off his vest and over-shirt. Shoes and socks were removed as well.

Sitting a few feet away from the fire, Melanie patted the spot next to her, signalling for Snotlout to sit as well. When he did so, Melanie scooted all the way up against him. With a chuckle, he placed his arm around her back.

But his thoughts quickly turned dark. If Melanie wasn't picking up on his feelings for her, would she ever? And would she even like him back? If she ever found out, would it ruin their friendship? Snotlout frowned to himself and let go of Melanie.

Sitting up, Melanie gave him a curious look. Examining his facial expression,she asked, "why are you sad?"

"What?" Snotlout began nervously, "I-I'm not sad, I'm just--I just-"

"Snotlout," Melanie stopped him, her voice holding a serious tone that he'd never heard from her before. "Look at me."

Snotlout turned his head to look into her face. Her hair was still damp, some strands sticking to her forehead. Eyes like emerald crytals stared at him in admiration. And he suddenly lost control; without even thinking, Snotlout leaned in and kissed her cheek. It was a short and unsure kiss.

When he pulled away, his eyebrows were drawn together nervously as he waites awkwardly for her to react. But soon his lips were captured by Melanie as she kissed him fully. Unlike Snotlout, she was confident in the action. Feeling their lips collide with such power made both of their hearts soar. Melanie moved her lips against his gently, until she pulled away with care.

When she opened her eyes, Snotlout was already staring at her. "I didn't think.." He began, trailing off as a grin grew on his face.

"I'm crazy, Snotlout," Melanie reminded him, "not blind." With a small laugh, she went on, "I noticed the second you started acting different. I'll admit, I didn't know why at first, but Ruffnut helped me figure it out."

"What--Ruffnut?" Snotlout questioned abruptly.

Melanie giggled, "I made her promise to keep my secret." She then sighed dramatically, "secrets are hard; I never wanna have one again."

"I guess you're right," Snotlout agreed. It was all he could do at the moment: listen and agree. Because right then, everything Melanie said to him just sounded so perfect. He couldn't take his eyes off of her.

When Melanie laid her head back onto his shoulder, Snotlout no longer had doubts. He hugged her shoulders firmly and planted a kiss on the top of her head. And in the cave behind the sheet of falling water, the two stayed until they were dry.

• • •

"Why are you bringing so much fish?" Astrid questioned Tuff, who was stuffing Belch's saddle bag with fish. "Berserker Island isn't that far away."

"Just in case I get the urge to fish slap, you know?" Tuffnut explained as if it were completely normal and expected.

"No, I don't know," Astrid replied before going back to her own packing.

Melanie, with the idea of an airborne fish-fight now in her head, began to casually walk back over to the big basket of fish to grab a few extra. Seeing this, Snotlout sighed and rubbed his temple. "Mel," he said in a warning tone.

With an innocent smile, she turned around to see Snotlout watching her from across the arena. She quickly hurried back over to Bones, laughing all the way. The boneknapper snorted smoke at her as if to repremand her for trying to be mischievous. Melanie coughed once, then continued packing.