Chapter Twenty Seven

James's P.O.V.

I open my bleary eyes to an unfamiliar environment, and no Thomas. Man, I dunno if I'm ever going to get used to Newtide. The demeanour of this place is so much...louder than Wolfpine. And at night, gosh, people who live here never seem to sleep. Luckily I managed to catch a few winks in the inn Alexander and I are staying in. I get up and yawn. We're supposed to meet again with Charlotte today, and I'm quite looking forward to it. Yesterday's meeting was quite short and uneventful, but still pretty interesting.

I notice that a piece of paper has been slipped under the door of our room. From my bed, I can just make out my name scrawled across it. A letter! I jump up and snatch it off the carpet, eagerly tearing it open. I swear if Thomas has already sent a letter...Yup. I grin and start reading.

Hey James! How's Newtide? Is it still as beautiful as ever? I used to live there y'know. Okay, so technically as I'm writing this you haven't left for Newtide yet, but by the time you're reading this, you definitely have. I'd recommend some restaurants, but to be honest I don't really remember any. It's been a long time. So, what did the Queen want you for? Tell me all about when you write back! Yours forever, Thomas.

It's written with no structure, no formal language, and it's short. But it's the thought that counts, right? So sweet of him to send this ahead of time. I'll write him a reply tonight, so I can include today's meeting in it. With that plan in mind, I go wake Alexander up to meet with Charlotte, round two now.

*****

As we come up to the royal house, I begin to worry. Wait a second, yesterday we only got in because Washington just happened to exit as we entered, and we had that waiter with us. I glance at Alexander, who is coming up behind me, staring at the ground.

"You're knocking!" I grab his shoulder and push in front of me. Alexander glares at me before taking a breath and patting down his hair. He knocks on the door, three sharp taps that seem to echo.

"Come in," I hear Charlotte's reassuring voice from inside. Alexander slides a quick triumphant grin at me before opening the door. Whatever. At least now he has to greet Charlotte first.

"Oh! Um, hi, Charlotte," Alexander says, suddenly nervous. I glance over his shoulder to see someone else sitting next to Charlotte. My eyes widen. Oh my god...I think that's the King. He has a short, scruffy beard, and dark green wings that curl over Charlotte's purple ones. Unlike Charlotte, his wings don't have any gold highlights. "And um, greetings, Your Majesty," Alexander adds quickly.

"Yes, um, hi!" I say after him. The King and Charlotte share a look.

"Please, call me Isaac, and as you know, my wife is Charlotte," He says kindly, eyes glinting in a friendly way. I smile a little. Does everyone around just get a first name basis with these two?

"And please, let's not waste time on introductions," Charlotte interjects. "I've already explained who you are to Isaac. Now, down to business," She looks at Isaac expectantly. Isaac blinks before clearing his throat.

"Right, right," He pauses. "What did we want them here for again?" He whispers to Charlotte, just loud enough for us to hear.

"We had a proposal for them," Someone else said, and for the first time after arriving, I realise that Major General Washington is standing in the corner. My head starts to spin when I realise that I am in the room with the three most important people of all of Dosmiana. Wait till I tell Thomas about it! I bet his jaw will drop from the sheer insanity of it all.

"Oh right!" Isaac seemingly remembers and slaps his knee. "James, Alexander, we have a proposal for you. Since you two are Humans, ahem, how to put this, some Winged just don't trust you. It would make them feel much better if you helped us in the war effort," Isaac explains. Huh. I guess that makes sense. As long as I don't have to work as a-