McGonagall left the hall, and as the tall oak doors shut behind her, Draco Malfoy took the opportunity to make his appearance. He sauntered up to Anna, Harry and Ron, his smirk so prevalent it looked as if that was his only personality trait.

"So...are the rumours true? Are you Harry Potter?" he asked loudly so everyone turned their attention to him. Harry gave a nod. "Well, my name is Malfoy...Draco Malfoy. This is Crabbe and Goyle."

Ron snorted as he looked at the two boys that resembled mentally-challenged walruses. Draco's cold grey eyes snapped to him, his smirk never fading "Think my name and friends are funny, don't you? I don't need to ask who you are...red hair, freckles, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley!"

As ginger was about to tell him off, Draco turned to the famous girl, whose irises were tinted red with anger. "And you, Anna, you've already met me. Have you thought about my offer from the train? You know, you and Harry are quite special...you'll come to learn that some magical families are better than others...I could help you."

Harry grit his teeth, staring down the blonde boy. He didn't know if he was angry that Draco had insulted Ron or that he was taunting Anna. "Hey Malfoy...I think we can find the right sort ourselves."

Draco glared at the raven-haired boy, and just as he was about a spew an insult, McGonagall made an entrance. "They're ready for you...follow me."

Harry lightly grabbed Anna's arm and pulled her by his side. They both felt the heat rise to their faces, but were grateful to be closer to each other than the pureblooded jerk.

The older students spoke in hushed whispers, pointing out certain students and placing bets on who would get sorted into what house. Up the few stairs in front of the tables stood the staff table and in front of that, a rickety stool with a tattered hat among it.

A weathered man in the tallest chair held a hand up, causing the hall to fall silent. After a few seconds, the hat's fabric contorted into a face, and its deep voice rang out into a song.

Anna was overwhelmed and found it hard to remember all of the words, but she was able to pick out the specific traits the houses wanted.

"You may belong in Gryffindor where dwell the brave at heart. Their daring nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.

You might belong in Hufflepuff where they are just and loyal. Those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil.

Or yet wise in Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind. Where those of wit and learning will always find their kind.

Or perhaps in Slytherin where you'll make real friends. Those folks cunning folks use anything to achieve their ends."

She felt conflicted. She tried to be brave, but she was no hero. Kindness was another goal, but her lack of friends made her deny that as well. Her marks in school were good but she was no genius. And Slytherin...cunning and ambitious...she could see that, but the stigma surrounding the house was something she would refuse to be a part of.

In that moment, Anna Black realized she had no idea who she was. She realized that in a few minutes she would sit upon the stool and her fate would be sealed...but what if she didn't like what she heard?

What if Ollivander was right? That she was heading down a dark path?

But she pushed those thoughts out of her mind and squeezed Harry's arm. Upon seeing his shocked expression, she knew the same things were going through his mind.

"Abbot, Hannah!" The first name was called and a young girl with a kind face and blonde hair sat upon the stool. Only seconds later, the hat yelled "HUFFLEPUFF" and the hall erupted into cheers.