Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

I don't bother bring my computer, just carrying Blossom and picking up her phone as well. I'm sure she'll appreciate it being there in the morning for her.

It's absurd to think how oblivious she is sometimes. I still can't wrap my head around how she didn't know about my parents, not to mention that she hadn't seen my name floating around social media at all.

Not to even consider how she could probably sleep through a fucking earthquake based on how she's sleeping now.

I push open the door to the bedroom, noting Blossom's small duffel bag open on the floor. All the clothes inside are packed neatly and folded perfectly.

She's fucking adorable.

I step over the bag, pulling back the duvet on the bed and laying Blossom down on top of the sheets. I pull the covers back up over here, hoping to keep her warm, and she lets out a little content sigh. I place her cellphone down on the bedside table, next to the book she had placed there earlier.

I kiss her on the top of the head, before walking out of the room, shutting off the overhead light and closing the door.

Heading to the room I had claimed earlier, I draw the curtains on the windows shut before pulling my shirt over my head and tossing it carelessly onto the floor.

When I look down at the tattoos inked into my skin they feel unfamiliar.

Why am I suddenly caring so much about the tattoos? I had them done for me and me alone.

It's not like I give a shit about people's thoughts on me. They can mind their own damn business just like I do.

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the frame of the bedroom door which I had left open.

I spin around to see Mateo standing there, his hair messy and in his eyes wide.

"What do you want?" I ask him coldly, and he reciprocates the same energy.

"I got your text from Lexi's phone. What happened?" he asks.

"Why should you care?" I retort.

He snorts. "Real mature, Bryce. I want to make sure that she's okay, clearly. What happened to you being a genius?"

"Don't push me, kid. Some guy tried to force himself on her and I advise you don't bring it up again," I snap, and his jaw slacks in horror.

"Are you joking?"

Why would I joke about this kind of shit? Of course not. That would be utterly rude of me.

"No. Don't bring it up with her at all though," I tell him, giving him a short answer. "Now please, let me get some rest."

He hesitates for a moment, clearly contemplating if he should say something else snarky, but decides against as he turns around and walks out of the room.

"It's a good thing her brother isn't here. He would lose it," he says to me, before turning and walking back downstairs.

He's not wrong, but maybe if Charlie was here he could have potentially stopped that jackass even before I did.

Mateo rounds the corner without looking back at me, and I shut my door quickly before stripping down to just my boxers and climbing into the bed.

I choose to ignore the thoughts of how many people have had sex in this bed for awhile, remembering that I had packed a book to read myself.

I slide out of the bed even though I had just laid down, walking over to my bag and rummaging around in the main pocket. I find the book I was looking for immediately, tossing it onto the bed before unzipping the smaller pockets and plucking both my contacts case and glasses case.