Seventeen

"You're gonna have to do better than that, sweetheart."

Roxanne narrows her eyes, scowling at Dean.

"Please. It was a cheap shot."

"Maybe you just suck at pool."

Dean lines up another shot, easily sinking the ball and winning the game. He strides over to Roxanne and slings an arm around her shoulders.

"Don't be a sore loser," he grins.

She rolls her eyes, pouting. She leans in slightly, lowering her voice.

"Any takers?"

He releases her, setting his cue on the edge of the table. "May have a few by the bar."

"Good. You know, I bet it's a lot easier letting a woman hustle for you."

He smiles, taking a swig of his beer. "They seem to get much more distracted by your looks than mine."

She laughs. "Probably because I'm sexier than you."

"Now that I can't argue with."

Before Roxanne can process his comment, she feels a tap on her shoulder, and she quickly turns to see a tall man, likely in his early thirties. His hair is cut in a short style, almost military. His brown eyes shine as he flashes her a smile, and she notes the tattoo sleeves that cover both his arms.

"Hi!"

He nods. "Hi. Sorry about your game. Looks like you lost pretty hard."

She shrugs. "Ah, that's alright. I'm just here to have fun."

"Is that so?"

Dean takes a seat in a nearby chair as he watches Roxanne work her magic. He swears it's a little scary to watch her go from innocent and sweet and helpless to a deadly hunter in seconds. She's a master of deception and blindsiding her enemies.

"Yeah... Hey, would you like to play me?"

He glances back at the bar, waving to another man. His eyes find hers again, and he smiles. She almost chickens out; the guy seems too nice and charming to con.

"Sure."

He picks up the cue Dean set down and walks around the table.

"Rack 'em, sunshine," she smiles.

He raises his eyebrows as he does as told. A smile plays at his lips.

"Now what's a sweet little southern girl like you doing in a bar all the way out in Oklahoma?"

Dean hides a smirk. She's a little southern, sure. But she always kicks it up a notch. Says the accent gets her more attention. She also says no one suspects a little southern belle.

She shrugs. "Aw, I'm just passin' through. What about you?"

He shrugs. "I'm from around here. Been here most all my life. Except when I was overseas."

"Yeah?" She nods. "Military?"

He nods. "Yeah."

She smiles. "Well, what do you say we make this interesting?"

He shakes his head. "I wouldn't wanna take your money."

She lets out a scoff. "Oh, confident, are we? Come on, sunshine, fifty bucks."

She brushes her hair over her shoulder and leans forward onto the pool table.

"Besides, everything's more fun when the stakes are high."