Chapter 50 - A Night to Remember (Part 2)

"I don't understand." Jacob said. I simply gave him a soft smile and, with confidence I didn't think I had around him, leaned up and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

'Farewell for now, Jacob. I will see you again tonight. I'm sure it will be a night to remember when the curtain falls." With that, I walked away. As I did so, I kept an eye out for Starrick.

"(Name), there you are." Speak of the devil and he shall appear. I slightly held my breath, hoping that he didn't see me with Jacob. The last thing I need is him asking questions or realising that I remember everything. I happened to notice that he was holding onto something, though I couldn't quite make out what it was, and he was slightly out of breath. 'Just what are you up to, Starrick?' I thought as I tried my best to make think up of why he would be in a rush. Unfortunately, I was coming up with know. 'Really shows how much I don't know thanks to this bastard. Just you wait, the curtain falls on this tale one way or another.'

"Are you alright, father?" I said as innocently as I could, the word father tasted like acid, knowing what he did to me and how much he is going to pay.

"Just fine my dear. I'm afraid I must be off now, but please do enjoy the rest of the ball." Nothing else was said as he ran off to who knows where. 'I must find out what's going on.' Just as I was thinking that, I happened to notice that Jacob and Evie weren't that far away. Without hesitating, I made my way over towards them, making sure to stay hidden so I can find out what's going on.

Jacob's POV

"Here. The location of the vault. Go!" Evie said the moment I walked over towards her.

"Just like that? No plan?" I said.

"No time for plans. I'll catch up as soon as I'm rid of this infernal contraption." Nothing else was said as I went on ahead and reached the entrance to the vault. Upon entering, it wasn't long before I found Starrick, who seemed preoccupied with what could only be the Shroud. Making sure to stay as quiet as I could, I begin to make my way over to him. Unfortunately, that didn't work out the way I had wanted.

"What – what are you doing?" I said as he held me by my throat.

"Exploiting. I warned you, my boy. But you do not listen." He said. It wasn't long after when I heard Evie call out my name.

"Jacob!" It was then the vault's defense mechanisms had activated.

"Evie! Stay back!" I called out as best as I could while trying to be free of Starrick. As soon as she got closer, Starrick had threw me back. 

"London will soon be rid of your chaos! This city was a safe harbour, a light for all humanity. What alternatives do you propose? Bedlam?" He said. Evie had charged at him, triggering a defensive shield around her and Starrick that blew me back towards the other end of the chamber. She subsequently engaged Starrick in combat.

"The Shroud was never meant for you!" I heard he say as I was making my way back to where they were. 'Damn that shield pushing me back.' I thought.

"You would rather destroy the fabric of society!" Starrick said.

"Mr. Starrick! You forgot to escort me home!" She stabbed him with her hidden blade, but the Shroud quickly healed his injury.

"Let me rectify my mistake!" Starrick took Evie in a chokehold, meanwhile I was forced to evade the vault's defense mechanism to reach Starrick.

"Jacob, be careful!"

"Evie! Hold on!" I called out. As I got closer, Starrick did the same thing to Evie as he did to me and threw her back.

"I admire your pluck, but there is little you can accomplish now. Like Jesus himself, I am immortal. Behold the power of the Shroud!"