Chapter 31 - Everything changes

Jacob's POV

My eyes flutter open as the sun shines throughout the carriage, causing me to awake from a dreamless sleep. I slowly get up and begin to get ready for the day, only to notice that it's rather quiet. Once ready, I make my way to the main carriage, where I see Evie already waiting, but no (Name) in sight.

"Have you seen (Name) this morning?" I asked her.

"Good morning to you too. And no, can't say that I have." She replied, and I couldn't help but worry.

"She didn't return last night?"

"I'm sure she's fine. Surely she'll be back sometime today." I wanted to believe her words, but something in me was telling me that something is very wrong. "Honestly Jacob, can you be any more obvious?"

"Huh?" Nothing but confusion can be heard in my voice.

"It's very clear that you worry about her, even more than a simple friend would."

"Evie, don't."

"And why not? I know we were told to not allow personal feelings to compromise the mission, but we're humans after all. At the end of the day, we will always have feelings, regardless of what we were taught otherwise. Just tell her and be with her if that's what makes you happy."

"You can't honestly be serious? She clearly doesn't want anything more than friendship between us, that's been made perfectly clear."

"Jacob..."

"Please, just drop it." Was all I said, indicating that I don't want to talk about this anymore. I glance over towards the desk and see what looks to be a letter. "Oh, what have we here?" I open the letter and begin to read.

Boiler,
This Dredge character's meddling will be the death of us. He was loitering around the Exchange today asking far too many questions about the bank. Should he discover my plan, you will face a far worse fate than losing your jobs.
Signed Plutos

"So, this Plutos is Starrick's banker, hmm? I wager Dredge will lead me to him."

"While you're out and about, do attempt not to destroy modern medicine or the London transportation network." Evie said.

"Don't make me laugh."

"Innocent lives hang in the balance. They depend on this city."

"I'm not the one who let Lucy Thorne walk away."

"A mistake I intend to rectify immediately."

"Well then, with that out of the way, I have work to do. Don't wait up." Nothing more was said as I made my way out of the train and into the city.

End of POV

I look at my so-called father in shock, still not wanting to believe that this man in front of me is related to me. It's all too overwhelming if you ask me, and I just don't want to believe it.

"Come now (Name), the least you could do is say something, anything, to your dear old father. Not acknowledging me is rather rude of you." Starrick said, and I could feel myself grow angry at his words.

"Says the one who left my mother and I so very long ago. You may be my father, but I will never think of you that way." I replied.

"Oh, you wound me my dear. If I had it my way that day, you would never have been an assassin. You would've been who you were meant to be from the very beginning, a Templar."

"Or, you and mother could've just let me remain oblivious to all of this and allow me to be a child. When you left, mother taught me the ways of an assassin. While other children around me were oblivious to the cruel ways of the world, I was learning the vile ways of humanity. While they were running around in the light, I was to remain within the shadows. While they could be a child for as long as they can, I was forced to grow up. You and mother just had to force this upon me and, while I love being an assassin, I would've loved to have been just an ordinary child with ordinary parents. If I had it my way, I would never have become an assassin." I took a deep breath after speaking, not really believing that I had admitted all of that. It was like it needed to be said, and I just couldn't hold it back.

"You know, there could be a way for you to not have to worry about this Templar/Assassin war, where you could live freely and not have a target on your back." I looked at him in shock, wondering just what he was up to. However, no matter how much my curiosity was burning inside me, I wanted no part of whatever it is.

"Regardless of everything that has happened, I wouldn't change it for the world. I may have wished to never have become an assassin when I was younger, due to the pain it had caused but, now I'm glad it worked out this way. And we are going to stop you and free London from you and your Blighters."

"Perhaps, but you won't be there to know how this story ends. In fact, you'll forget all about this tragic tale." I looked at him in confusion.

"Just what are you talking about?" Before anything else could be said, I felt something be injected into my neck, causing my eyes to feel heavy and my body go weak.

"Don't you worry about that." I tried so hard to keep my eyes open, but it felt as if I was fighting a losing battle. Not only that, but it felt like all my memories of my life as an assassin are being taken away from me.

"W-What did you do t-to me...?"

"Rest now, my dear. Dream a beautiful dream and see you when you awaken." I could no longer fight it and found myself succumbing to the darkness.

Time skip

My eyes fluttered open and I found myself in a strange room. Looking around, I noticed I was lying upon a rather comfortable bed in a rather fancy room. Although strange, it also seemed rather familiar to me, though I don't know why. Not long later, I heard the door open and a familiar person walked in.

"Ah, glad to see you're awake my dear. I've brought you some food." He said as he brought over a silver tray.

"Oh, thank you." I replied.

"You had me so worried, I trust that you've gotten enough rest?" I could hear the concern in his voice as he spoke.

"Of course, I feel so much better now."

"That makes me happy to hear. Please, don't worry me like that again, ok? You know how I feel about you going out all on your own."

"I'm sorry. It won't happen again, I assure you, father."