Chapter 3 - Conquering Whitechapel (Part 1)

Dedicated to @sarakumaa for your comment that has inspired and motivated me to continue on.

"How much do you know of Crawford Starrick?" Jacob asked once introductions were made.

"Enough to know that he is the one pulling the strings around here, and that he must fall if London is to be ever free of Templar control, thus freeing the people from oppression." I replied. 

"And that's what we intend to do."

"Who are all these people?" Evie said as she walked over to the desk. Her question had me curious so I walked over to the desk and saw that there were a few pictures of different people laid out.

"Over the years, I have established a number of connections across the city." Henry said.

"Splendid. We'll need focused aid..." She began to say, only to be interrupted by her brother.

"Focused aid? Psh, we take over Starrick's gangs, we cripple his control."

"You know, that's not a bad idea." I said to Jacob.

"You're not aiming high enough. Starrick has influence in every branch of society. We need to match him." Evie said. Jacob placed his hand on her shoulder and replied,

"I see what you're saying Evie, we need the Rooks." I looked at him with a curious look and, before anyone could say anything, I spoke up and asked,

"I'm sorry, but who or what exactly are the Rooks exactly?"

"A gang I intend to begin."

"You're not starting a gang called The Rooks Jacob." Evie said.

"I believe I may have an idea of my own." Henry began to say as he moved towards the first picture of a man with brown hair and a brown moustache. "We will need the police to turn a blind eye to our activities. My ally in the force, Sergeant Abberline. I've heard he's a master of disguise."

"Really? Then how will we know when we have found him if he is in disguise?" I asked, curious to know.

"Don't worry, you'll know when you have found him. Now next up – urchins."

"Urchins?" Jacob said with a tone of disbelief.

"Urchins. Children make for excellent spies."

"Clara O'Dea." Evie said as we looked at a picture of a girl with brunette hair braided on both sides and brown eyes.

"Smart as a whip that one." He said as he moved onto the final picture laid out on the desk. "Finally, you would be wise to remember that Starrick never acts alone. There are gang leaders in every borough. You'll meet them soon enough, no doubt."

"Who's the first we're after?" I said.

"Rexford Kaylock, known for his ability to vanish before your very eyes."

"Shall we make him disappear for real?" Jacob said and I couldn't help but giggle silently.

"I suppose." Evie said.

"One moment." Henry said and grabbed another picture out from under the desk, handing it to Evie. "Hm, a Templar target you might want to look into. Be cautious, it's rough out there."

"Don't worry about me, Greenie. I can handle a few thugs." Jacob said. With that, we turned around and began walking out of the shop. Once outside, I turned towards the twins and asked,

"So where exactly do we start?"

"How about seeking out Clara? I believe if we can get the children on our side soon, then they can report any important information they come across. The more information we have, the more we can plan effectively." Evie said and all I did was nod my head, agreeing with her.