Chapter 43 - Fun and Games

My eyes fluttered open and I found myself lying on of the couches in the theatre. I slowly got up and placed a hand on my head, trying to remember what happened before.

"Are you alright, sweetheart?" One of the ladies who works here asked me.

"Yeah, what happened?" I replied.

"The man from before put you on the couch before he left to his business with Mr. Roth. Such a sweet boy he is. Certainly was concerned too." At her words, I instantly remembered that Jacob was talking to me before I lost consciousness.

"I shall have to thank him sometime." 'Though I'm sure he has questions as well.' I thought.

"Ah, (Name), are you feeling alright?" I heard another voice ask me. I looked over and saw that it was Mr. Roth.

"Why yes Mr. Roth. I am feeling much better now that I have rested." I said.

"That is wonderful to hear, my dear. Now then, you take the rest of the day off, I have some more business to deal with." Nothing more was said as he walked off. Since I have the day off, I decided to go for a walk around London.

Jacob's POV

A new day, another day of some fun. I was making my way to the Alhambra, hoping to try and speak to that woman again before meeting up with Roth. Just as I was about to enter the Alhambra Music Hall, Roth stepped out.

"Ah! This way, my dear. I've something to show you!" He said as we made our way to his carriage. "Hop in!" We got in and I took the reins.

"Where are we going?" I said.

"One of Starrick's workshops, where they build weapons for his army. When the world is full of nasty things, we must tear those things apart. A man like Starrick builds a world around his desires, so we lose the ability to dream for ourselves. Therefore, we must-" I cut him off before he could say anything else.

"Strike."

"Precisely! No matter the cost...Every second of hesitation allows Starrick to build." It wasn't long before we reached our destination. Once there, we ascended a nearby rooftop.

"What a funk in here." I said.

"You must see the potential, dear Jacob. The workshop is one of Starrick's! Set the dynamite, and let's blow it to atoms. Together." I jumped down from the roof and begin placing the dynamite around the workshop.

"That's one." I said after placing the first one. "There." The second one is now placed. "Set." The third one is all set and ready to go. "And done!" All the dynamite has now been put in place. I then returned to Roth on the rooftop. "All rigged up."

"Perfect, let's put our plan into action...Stand back! Ready!" Roth said as he begins to direct his Blighters. As he was doing that, I noticed children entering the workshop, the same one with dynamite all around it.

"Wait!" I yelled out.

"Whatever for?"

"There are children in there!"

"Jacob, my dear, Starrick uses child labour to manufacturer goods. We must put an end to his production line." He said as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

"But not like this."

"Why not?! I can do whatever I damn well please! Soon, you will understand what it is to be free, as I am. Light 'em up, boys!" The Blighters ran towards the dynamite and prepared to ignite it.

"No!" I yelled out as I pulled out my kukri, leaped down from the building and killed the Blighters.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

"We're not playing games anymore, Roth!" I ran towards the building, not hearing anything else he said. I tried to reach the workshop before the dynamite went off, unfortunately, I didn't make it in time and the place caught on fire. Not even hesitating, I kicked open the door and ran into the burning warehouse. "Out you get, move quickly, no time to idle!" While the children ran out, I grabbed those who were wounded, carried them outside and fended off any attacking Blighters. Once that was done, I noticed Roth's henchman, Lewis, who approached me while carrying a box.

"A gift, sir, from Mr. Roth. You should be warned, Mr. Frye, that when Roth is angry with one, he generally brings suffering to many." Lewis said as he gave me the box and then walked off. I then read the letter that was placed on the box.

My dearest Jacob.
Alas, it seems our adventures have come to a close. Although our time together was brief, it's left a lasting mark. I wish you well in all your future endeavours.
Cordially, Maxwell.
Post scriptum: I'm putting on a show this evening. All of London will be there. Enclosed, please find your invitation.

Opening the box, I saw Roth's dead pet crow inside.

End of POV

It's been a few hours since I left the theatre, I could see the sun beginning to fall. I decided that it was time to head back, but before I could do just that, I heard a loud sound go off, a sort of explosion I guess you could call it. I grew curious, so I followed the direction in which the sound came from and couldn't help but gasp at the sight. There in front of me is a warehouse on fire, and Jacob carrying children while attacking some of my father's men. A part of me, a foreign yet familiar part of me wanted to go over and help Jacob with my father's men, though I couldn't understand why. However, instead of running there and putting myself in danger, I stuck to the shadows and waited. Doing this, it once again felt foreign yet familiar. Things to ponder another time.

"Jacob?" I called out once it was safe.

"What are you doing here?" I could hear the shock in his voice as he spoke. It looked as if he didn't want me to see what he did, but I didn't say anything about that.

"Mr. Roth allowed me the rest of the day off, so I decided to take a walk around London. I was actually on my way back when I heard an explosion and decided to investigate."

"Oh...well this...it isn't..."

"I know you are an assassin, Mr. Frye." I said, and I could see the shock in his face. Before he could ask how I continued. "Mr. Roth mentioned." I couldn't just tell him that my father told me, after all I get the feeling that he is involved with them somehow. Aside from that, there is a part of me that feels as if I should know more about assassins, but I can't understand why.

"And that doesn't scare you?"

"Should I be afraid?"

"Why shouldn't you?"

"That is for me to know. After all, I'm still trying to figure somethings out." I mumbled the last part, hoping that he didn't hear me.

"Pardon?"

"It's nothing. Oh, before I forget, thank you for placing me on the couch. I apologise for fainting in your arms." I sheepishly said as I turned my head to the side, hoping to hide my face as I could feel a blush arise.

"No need to apologise. It's not everyday a beautiful woman such as yourself is in my arms." I could see the smirk on his face as he spoke. 

"Mr. Frye, you haven't even seen my face. How would you know that I am beautiful?"

"Though you are hidden behind a mask, what I speak is nothing short of the truth." He begins to walk closer as he spoke, and I find myself unable to stop him. "Perhaps you will allow me to see what lies beyond the mask?" He slowly lifted his hands to my face, gently caressing it before moving his fingers to the back of my head to untie the mask. My breath hitched in my throat as we looked into each other's eye. I was captured yet again, and almost let him take off the mask too if it wasn't for the fact that he can't know that it's me. With a sorrowful look in my eyes, I placed my hands on his, stopping him from his actions. 

"I apologise Mr. Frye, but I should be heading back now. I'm sure Mr. Roth would worry if I do not return." Before he could say anything else, I walked away. As I walked, I pondered on everything that has happened, only to have more and more questions arise, and it's starting to annoy me. With all these flashbacks that have been occurring, it has me wondering; did something happen to me to forget something important? Who exactly is Jacob to me? What am I to him? How does he know me? What business am I involved in to even know him? Just...who is the real me?