Epilogue

"The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained."

Countdown

"Doesn't she look adorable?"

"Tyra!" she groaned, burying her face on her palm. The silver-gold-black bangles on her left wrist clanked against each other and slid down to her elbow. They were as cold as her skin.

"Oh no, Dee. Not that." Tyra yanked her hands away, her perfectly sketched eyebrows forming two angry lightning bolts.  "You're going to smear my masterpiece! And your hair! You're ruining it! Do you want me to hate you?"

Her face heated intensely as she realized how weird she must have looked. It was all because Tyra insisted on playing make-up artist on her, though it wasn't really necessary. She gave a nervous smile at her boyfriend – who was wordlessly rooted on his spot with a bouquet of red and pink roses.

"Uhm, so, ah..." Say something! Anything! Her brain was like a bowl of mushed potato. She couldn't grasp any intelligible English words at the moment. "Uh." Come on! Think! "How do I–how do I look?"

There was something inside her stomach that fluttered when his normally stoic face melted to a smiling one. His dark eyes glowed with longing to have her locked in his arms and never let go. He pulled her close, kissed the top of her head and handed her the roses.

"You look enchanting."

She smiled in pride. She could say the same to him. Not one to dress up, he wore a black mock turtleneck and tight jeans. He was dashing in simple clothes. His sculpted body was downright visible for the world to appreciate. It was unfair.

"T-Thanks!" She wanted to punch herself. "You too!"

God, her first real date, and she was stammering! How pathetic!

Tyra gave her a hearty pat in the butt. Her ruby red lips formed a very alarming smirk. "Hmm," she said after some thought, "I think we're done here. Kreuz is calling from the kitchen. I think I should go see what's wrong with him. Lend him a hand or something, so once you leave don't disturb me, got that Dee-Dee?"

Everything sounded fair enough, except the last line accompanied by that very, very, very disturbing wink.

Ugh. It was really weird knowing that your best friend is crushing on your dad. How she could tolerate it, she didn't know. Tyra was very beautiful – tall, blonde and slim – with a knack for craziness and spontaneity. She could have any boy she wanted, but she never showed interest to anyone in their age group. She had this thing for older people. And unfortunately, her good-looking but boring businessman of a father caught Tyra's sole attention. It's gross. She couldn't stomach the fact that the twenty year old woman may one day become her mother.

Tyra's younger than her by two years, for heaven's sake!

Thankfully, her father was completely and totally devoted to her deceased mother. Their love story was quite romantic and tragic, and deep in her marrows, she felt sad that she never got the opportunity to meet the woman who gave birth to her. It was apparent how much her father loved her. It was wrong for her to die so young. Fate was cruel.

She couldn't help but feel sorry for her best friend because there was no way her saintly prim and proper father would fall for the girl.

"Have a fun night, you two!" Tyra waved as she skipped away. "And Arashi, if I notice that her lipstick is intact by the time she returns, I'm going to diss you. Just kiss her silly already, lover boy!"