2. The Decision

It seems Ella and I have all of our infamous discussions, breaking news, and arguments in my living room. This evening is no different nor is the topic.

"You said what?" She exclaims as her long legs carry her hasty stride. I've been trying to explain myself for the last 2 minutes, but this woman will not let me get a word in. "I can't believe this."

"I-"

"This job is too good for you." She pauses to share a bewildered eye with my tolerant ones. Can I speak now?

"I-" I stick my finger up to chat, but Ella ignores it to continue her speed walk.

Do you remember the days of giving your parents your report card? Imagine me handing Ella mine and there's a BIG FAT F on it. Now, mom's running herself ragged, questioning her parenting skills.

"What other job would do this?" She pauses again to share her bewilderment with a chair in her path. I take this time to wag my finger. "Put your finger down, I'm talking." She points to me before she slowly swivels her head. Alright then. I lower my rude finger and pull my hushed lips into my mouth. "This is the opportunity of a lifetime! Europe! Rent-free! A beautiful city to live in while you do what you love."

"I hear it's gloomy a lot," I mention under my breath.

"We'd be able to go to Paris whenever." Ella gasps, smacking her hands on the top of the chair. Dropping her jaw, she envisions, "Imagine, sitting in a window seal, eating a croissant and writing as the Parisian air sweeps over you." She closes her eyes and waves her arms in the air as I chuckle. "Milan, Portugal, Norway..." She counts the places on her hand. "Go see what it's like on the other side." Ella throws her arm. One of these days, she's going to dislocate that thing. "There are no strings attached."

"I know. I know."

"You just feel guilty about wanting to leave."

"Ella." I sigh as my head tilts. Here comes the weight of the world. Ella circles around the chair to join me on the couch.

"No one is banning you from New York. Think of London as a working vacation. 6 months? You always say, time is but an illusion." A comfortable smile swipes across her face, hoping to lift my mood. Her smile grows, making mine do the same. "C'mon, sis." She bumps her shoulder into mine. Knowing I'm coming to a decision, she's nudging me off the edge.

"You're coming?" I pout, already aware of the answer.

"Do you think I'd let you go to Europe without moi?" She sits a lavender-polished hand on her chest.

"Lana is going," I say, not sure if she's in the know.

Her head tilts as if she didn't. Why didn't Lana tell her? Ella's jaw drops again, offended by the new information. I nod to confirm her skepticism. She nods as well as she looks away from me. Lana is getting a call very soon. I feel for the girl.

"Do you think I trust Lana enough to watch after you?"

"Ooo." I turn my attention to the carpet. Ella does the same while we ponder on the likelihood of Lana being responsible – let alone responsible for another living creature. The thought brings a pained face as I check on my best friend. I meet the same, hurt expression. Uhhhhhhh...

"Nah." We shake our heads as we laugh. With the rare, merry energy flowing, I add my verdict.

"Okay, we can go to Eur-"

"YA-" When Ella interrupts me, I slap my hand over her painted lips.

"As a trial," I state as I hold up my finger, hoping she takes each word into account. "Trial," I repeat with a nod. She does the same to signal her understanding. My hand leaves her mouth to return to my lap. "I'm not getting rid of my home."