A Call?

I opened my eyes. It was still nighttime, my heart coming in angry thuds. Something near me was making a weird noise! "Samantha?" I called out, seriously freaked. I got off my bed and sat up, startled. Something was making a screeching noise, soft, as if muffled by a pillow!

I ran around and searched for the noise, trying to figure out what it was. I was about to walk out of my room when I heard the noise, louder! I spied my pumpkin basket that my dad had given me! It was a normal-looking jack-o-lantern, but now it was vibrating. I grabbed it in my hands and looked into it. Staring back at me was the skeleton-white pasty head of my father with his eyeless sockets. I jumped back, "Ah!" I gasped.

"I'm really sorry, Spark! I didn't mean to scare you!" He smiled at me. I caught my breath, "It's okay. Why are you calling me so late?" I yawned, glancing at the clock, it was 2 am. "Oh, sorry, it's almost sunrise here. I heard that you are starting school sometime soon! I am so happy for you! You'll have to tell me what you learn!" He smiled at me. "Okay!"

I heard a weird noise and saw Zero float up behind him. "Zero! I've missed you so much!" When I was a kid, we would chase each other around the abandoned pumpkin patches, I loved him so much. He woofed at me and his nose glowed. "Are you going to visit anytime soon?" I asked. My father's face turned sad. "I...I'm sorry Spark. I'm being held here....I can't tell you why, not just yet. I will visit sometime, though. If you ever need me, use your magic on the pumpkin." I had magic!? "What magic?" I asked, confused.

"Oh! It's very simple. Focus your mind on the pumpkin and who you would like to see, then, poof! You're looking at them." He smiled. "Who do you call?" I asked with a smile. "Mostly you, in the other world, and I used to call your...your mother. She would be so proud of you, you know." He smiled sadly at me. I had not known my mother for very long, or why she went away.

"Thanks, dad. I miss you, and everyone. Tell them hi. And Zero, be a good boy!" His pumpkin nose glowed, it looked like he was smiling! I smiled back and looked at the pumpkin sadly, it would be time for him to hang up soon. "And no matter what anyone tells you, you're beautiful." My dad said with a smile, I could tell he was proud of me.

"Thank you." "Well, I better let you rest so you can get to school. Bye Sparkles!' He smiled at me, my own special nickname from my dad. "Bye dad." I smiled. His face disappeared from view. I sighed and wandered in the dark back over to my bed. Why couldn't things be easier?