Or so I hoped.

I sighed, “I guess a visit to good ole’ mom and dad is a bit overdue.”

He studied me, as if he was completely caught off guard over what I was saying. He nodded his head involuntarily, as if he was coming to terms with the fact that I would in fact be joining him today at our family gathering.

Oh the joy.

He stood then, shrugging, “Well, better start getting dressed because we’re leaving in an hour.”

~ ~ ~ ~

I glanced at myself in the sun visor mirror, straightening my hair. I was really about to see my parents, whom I haven’t spoken too since I moved out, in about twenty minutes.

Shawn spoke, “You look fine, Sam.”

I sighed, “I know I do, I just… I’m really nervous.”

“I know you are, but I think everyone will be happy to see you. They haven’t seen you in years.”

I groaned, “There was a reason for that.”

He looked at me, stopping at a red light, “Sam, it’s good that you’re doing this, being the bigger person and all.”

I knew what he was referring to, which was the fact that I was growing some balls to confront my parents whenever neither of them had tried since I left. I knew holding a grudge over their heads forever wasn’t healthy, courteous words from Megan. Doing this would be unsettling and painful, but it was something I had to do, it was something I had to face.

No matter how bad I wanted to turn and run the other way.

Thinking about Megan all morning had really gotten to me, and knowing she had left this morning without a single word about last night was driving me crazy. It was actually leading me to believe that she genuinely had no idea what she had done last night.

I had to question Shawn, “So, I’m guessing Megan left early this morning to celebrate Thanksgiving with her family?”

He nodded, turning onto a familiar hometown street, “Yea, her family lives about an hour away so she had to leave a little early to get to her mom’s for lunch.”

I nodded my head in response to Shawn, knowing this already but not being able to hold back from bringing up Megan.

I questioned, “She’s coming back tonight?”

“Yea, after she has dinner with her dad’s side. And speaking off… we could really use your help moving her out tomorrow. She has some stuff in storage and at the house, if you would want to help…?”