Ladybug stood on her tiptoes and put her free hand on his shoulder so she could whisper into his ear, her breath tickling his neck pleasantly, "I didn't want us to attract any attention but I had to come while transformed. Miraculouses have glamour magic that helps protect the wearer's identity, otherwise there's a chance I'd be recognized." She lowered herself and asked timidly, "I-is that okay?" 

Adrien felt like his heart was trying to jump out of his chest and he desperately hoped he wasn't as red as he felt.  At this proximity, even without his enhanced Chat Noir senses he could still subtly smell her familiar floral scent, which always brought him inexplicable comfort. He could count the adorable tiny freckles speckled on her nose, could feel the warmth radiating from her hand in spite of the thin material of her suit, could see the lights from the Eiffel Tower reflected in her piercing, azure eyes. Suppressing a dreamy sigh, he nodded slightly and let out a muffled, "Mm-hmm."

Ladybug gasped. "Oh! I'm sorry!" she sputtered and released him, then put some distance between them.

Wringing her hands, she spoke softly, her cheeks pink, "Thank you, by the way. For coming here. I realize this... 'outing' may not be exactly what you're used to, but... it means a lot to me that you even showed up."

Ladybug's captivating smile almost caused Adrien's knees to buckle, which confused him to no end. We're literally just standing here talking, what is WRONG with me??

Shaking himself out of his slight haze, he replied, "Thank you for inviting me. I've been looking forward to it," he half-lied. She didn't really need to know just how terrified he'd been.

"Thanks, Adrien. I appreciate it. But, having said that," she added anxiously, "I... I wanted to give you one last chance to back out. I don't want you to feel obligated to go through with it." She looked up at him, eyes filled with apprehension and dread. "I'll totally understand if you change your mind. Really. I wouldn't want you to have to do something that you're uncomfortable with." 

Adrien smiled at her fondly. She was so unexpectedly considerate, as she'd proven to both sides of himself. He wasn't accustomed to being given a choice, of having the agency to do whatever he was comfortable or not comfortable with doing. Her thoughtful gesture filled his chest with warm tingles, and he found himself suppressing an indescribably strong urge to hug her.

Grinning sympathetically, he took a step towards her and offered her his arm. "Shall we?"

Ladybug beamed and her whole countenance brightened, then she took his arm. "Yes!"

------------------------------------------------------

It was extraordinarily difficult for Adrien to keep his attention on the movie. All around him everyone laughed and exclaimed at the protagonists' antics and misadventures, but, as if by some magnetic force, his eyes were pulled elsewhere; he unwittingly yet frequently stole glances at his masked companion, who laughed along with the rest of the audience. Her radiant smile and unbridled laughter was so infectious, he couldn't keep himself from grinning widely himself whenever he peeked at her. Anytime their hands brushed while sharing snacks (which, after a short debate on who would pay for what, they'd settled on her buying the tickets and him buying the snacks), it would send his heart racing for reasons he could not fully comprehend. At one point their eyes met and she grinned cheerfully at him. He returned the smile and was infinitely grateful that the theater was dark, since he was pretty sure that his face was beet red instead of its usual color.

Ladybug seemed so ordinary here, but in the best way. A way that made her extremely approachable and warm. A way that put his nerves at ease while simultaneously setting fire to his chest. In the battlefield she had always seemed so fierce and intimidating to him, but that was not how he felt now. He felt perfectly comfortable and, dare he say it... safe. How was this chipper and animated girl that same intense and formidable opponent that he was so used to seeing as Chat Noir? It was baffling, to say the least.