i/iv

O N E ( 1 ) - A  C L O S E  L O O K 

I was melting holes in the back of her head. The new girl who had just transfered in, Evelyn. Her attitude set me of the moment she came here. But I knew it was more than that. I knew that I had a legitamate reason to hate her.

Within the few weeks she's been here she managed to take Izzy away from me.

How could she do that if she wasn't shady?

I don't trust her.

Izzy can't trust her.

"Kimmy instead of just staring off into space can you tell us what the definition of hubris is?" 

Ms.Harding. She has a vendetta against me to. I swear I didn't deserve a C on my last paper with all the effort I put into it. But here we are. 

I know what hubris is.

"It's pride that gets you hurt in the end isn't it?" I looked around the classroom and sure enough most of them were looking at me. What, had a grown two heads since the class started?

"Yes, it is. Good." 

She moved on to the next victim as I went back to looking at Evelyn. Her too perfect curly red hair, her too neat clothes. Something was up with the girl and I was gonna figure it out and save my best friend.

"Actually she's wrong."

That brought me back to reality. Who said that?

Evelyn turned around in her seat to face me with a small smile on her face. She looked at me with a face full with fake sympathy. 

"Hubris is pride, but it doesn't get you hurt in the end. It's just in this book that Oedipus' hubris does." She puts lightly and turns around with a swish of her hair.

I want so badly to just slap her in the face. Really. Just one of the hard Cheryl type slaps, like the one she gave Jughead. I can't forget that. Or the one that Bowie gave that blonde vixen. Can't forget that one.

While the slap would be promising it would also land me a sure detention. So I'll keep my hands to myself for now. 

"Don't get hurt now Evelyn." I mumble under my breath and I know she could hear me. I could see her body stiffen as I said it.

-

Betty waved me over. We are friends kind of. 

We know of each other, that's really it.

I try to stay away from her group of friends because they alway land themselves in some weird shit. Last year was the whole Jason Blossom death thing, then it was the black hood.

Now it's the gargoyle king.

But against my better judgement I joined her by the blue and gold door.

"Hey Kim can I talk to you in here for a second?"  

Should I?

I nodded and she opened the door for me, and closed it behind herself.

"So I wanted to come to you because I can sense that you don't trust Evelyn."  Betty sat on the desk behind her and crossed her arms over her chest. Without a second thought I nodded in agreement with her words. "May I ask why?"