Chapter Thirteen

Two days later, I was eating lunch in the Maze. I was biting into my sandwich, when a noise startled me. It was the Buzzer.

I jumped to my feet, and packed up my lunch. I started running back to the Maze, confused. Newbies only came up once a month, and Thomas had only gotten here two days ago!

I reached the Glade to find everybody crowding the Box. I worked my way to the front, standing besides Newt. "What's going on? Why is a Greenie already on his way up?" I asked him, and he shrugged.

"I have no idea, but I have a feeling that this isn't going to end well." He stated, and I nodded. The Buzzer stopped going off. Alby and Newt went to open the doors, and then peered into the Box. "Holy..." He breathed, obviously shocked.

'What is it?' I wondered.

"No way." Alby murmured.

"What is it?!" I called out loud this time.

Newt sighed. "It's a girl."

Everybody groaned. It wasn't that big of a deal, it's not like she was the first girl. "Newt, I'm a girl." I remarked.

"That's not bloody half of it," he said. "I think she's dead."

Okay, now he had permission to be shocked. Everybody was shocked, actually. Everyone crowded around the Box, looking at the lifeless figure.

She had dark tar black hair, and her skin was white as pearls. She was quite thin, and looked decently tall. Everybody watched her closely, but she didn't move. Alby started questioning Thomas, but he had no idea what was going on.

Suddenly, the girl shot up, her bright blues darting around. I jumped back, grabbing onto Newt. She spoke, her voice hollow. "Everything is going to change." She fell back down, and shot her fist up into the air. Newt got down into the Box and slowly crept towards her. He pried her fist apart, and retrieved a crumpled piece of paper from it.

Newt gasped after reading the words, and so did everybody else.

Scrawled across the paper, in thick, bold, writing, were five words:

"She's the last one. Ever."

Everybody went silent. It was a terrifying silence, and I stumbled backwards and bumped into Ben. He grabbed onto my shoulders, holding me steady. What the hell was happening? Could this be because of me accidentally being thrown into the Glade? Now a girl was being sacrificed, all because of me?

Suddenly, Alby called for the Med-Jacks. They rushed over, and took the girl away. They said she was most likely in a coma, but otherwise she was fine. Everything was basically a blur. Everybody started to clear out, but I still stayed put. Ben stayed with me, talking to me. But I wasn't listening. I felt awfully guilty, but I didn't know why.

"Rosa!" I heard Ben say loudly, shaking me. I jumped, and turned to face him. "Are you okay?!" He asked me worriedly. I nodded quickly.

"Yes, somewhat. Just in shock. I feel like this is my fault or something." I said, looking at the disbanding crowd.

"No, it's not. Everything is gonna be okay." He said, giving me a small hug. I nodded. "Listen, I've gotta get back to work. I'll see you later." He walked away.

"Bye.." I said, and just looked around awkwardly. What was I supposed to do? I started walking towards the kitchen, and sat down at a table next to Minho. Dinner would be soon, so it just made sense to wait there. Er sat around for a few minutes in silence until Chuck sat down next to us.

"Hey Chuck. Where's Thomas?" Minho asked. I gave him a weird look. Why would he be asking about Thomas.

He shrugged. "I'm not sure, I think he wandered off to the Deadheads."