Chapter Four

That night I couldn't sleep. My jaw was throbbing with pain, but I didn't dare bother the Med-Jacks. I was sure that after dealing with Gally's injuries, they didn't want to deal with mine too.

When I finally drifted off, I had a dream.

I was 16, and in this strange place with scientists. I was helping them with some type of statistics, when two guard were bringing a boy over to an elevator. He was fighting against it, and he looked very nervous. I walked over to him to comfort him, and walked him into the elevator. Suddenly, he pushed me down and bolted out, pressing a button to close the door. I pounded on it to get out, but it was no use.

When the dream was over, I sat up abruptly. 'Was that a memory?' I wondered. The elevator looked very familiar.. But I couldn't tell.

It was finally morning, and I decided I would get out of the Homestead before anyone else, so that no one had a chance to talk to me. I really didn't feel like reviewing the fight from the night before. Judging by the chatter that went around when the fight was over, it was most likely the talk of the Glade.

I sat down under the tree by the box, and put my head in my hands. I was so sick of being treated differently. I was also sick of wearing the same clothes every day. I desperately needed knew ones, mine were filthy and torn up from the fight.

That stupid fight, everything seemed to revolve around it. Even my clothes.

I spit into my hands, and tried to get some of the dirt off my clothes. It helped a little bit, but it looked like they were permanently stained. I sighed, and wiped my hands on my jeans.

I sat for at least half an hour, and then the sun started to come out. Gladers started emerging from the Homestead, and they didn't even notice me. I noticed that all the Keepers were headed to the Gathering, and I decided that I should probably head over there too.

I stood up, and started walking across the Glade. A lot of the guys stared at me, and whispered things to their buddies as I passed by. Luckily, no one approached me until I reached the Gathering.

As I walked into the building, everybody went silent. I sat down in the same chair I sat in the last time, except Gally was also seated by me.

Alby did the usual introduction, and then he looked at me. "Rosa, you will speak first. Tell us exactly what happened. No one will speak unless I tell them too." I nodded.

I explained the whole story. I explained how Gally approached me, wouldn't let me go, and we started fighting. I threw in that I was only defending myself, and I wasn't trying to pick a fight.

Then it was Gally's turn. "I was minding my own business, when out of nowhere, Rosa was in my face. She started talking about how strong she was, and how she should have equal rights. I told her that she was in Frypan's kitchen for a reason, and she lashed out at me. She tried to strangle me, she kicked me, and punched me. I had to fight back, to defend myself. That's when she smashed my chin into the ground. That's my weakness.. How would she know that? She's obviously a spy from the Creators. She's going to screw up the system, and get us all injured, or worse, killed."

I was speechless. None of that was true! But of course, the Keepers had no reason to believe me over Gally. Then suddenly, Minho jumped to his feet.

"That's a load of klunk, Gally, and you know it!" He shouted, furious.

Gally just glared at him, and said "How would you know Minho? Are you growing fond of this girl? A little too fond?"

Minho's face turned bright red, as well as mine. "That's not true, Gally, and you know it!" He was still shouting. I wasn't sure if he was flaking about his story, or Minho and I having a thing. Then again, it applied to both statements.