A low rustle came from the side of my bed as my hand searched for that button.

"Hey..." her soft whispered voice reached my ears almost like a dream, "Do you need anything?"

"Skye?" My voice came out gravely, "What time is it?"

"A little after eleven in the evening."

I started to gain my focus, "You didn't leave?"

"Nope." Her voice was close to me, "Do you want some water?"

Propping myself up, "Yes, please."

The idea of her staying by my side and not leaving was shaking me awake.

I downed one of those ridiculously tiny hospital cups she placed in my hand and then three more.

"Where is everyone?" I asked now that I was more centered and stared to regain my awareness.

"Your parents and Hank said that you'll prefer if they didn't stay so they went home, they took Matt for a sleep over and Aunt Sophie is working the night shift." She informed me.

I nodded. Then guilt ate me up, "You must be tired."

We only agreed that she would be there before I went in. Not being cramped in the room with me.

"Not at all." Skye dismissed.

And the she beat me to it before I could ask her to go home. "I want to stay."

The plea in her voice was tugging on my heart strings.

I held my hand out for her and locked my fingers around hers the moment we touched, "There is nothing I would love more". I moved over pulling the covers away, "Get in!"

I smiled as I stretched my arm to pillow her head as she crawled next to me and nestled in my chest. Then I pulled the covers around us and I breathed in the sweetness of her perfume. Feeling her warm body snuggled close to mine was heavenly. My hand fitted perfectly on the dip of her small waist. Nothing ever felt more right than this.

Skye's fingers stroked my jaw gently. I could feel her eyes on me when she asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Exhausted, like I've been running all day." There was a dull pain, but nothing else besides that.

I pulled her closer and breathed, "Thank you for being here with me."

"There is no other place on earth I would rather be."

Her words smiled and so did I. I inched in until I could press my lips on her forehead for a long kiss.

Soothed by her warmth and the steady breathing rhythm of her that fanned my chest, I drifted off again sound asleep.

*********

For the next two days, I spent most of my time sleeping. No matter how hard I tried to stay awake, I just drift off in a dreamless sleep. I've been following every single piece of instruction that Dr. Pendny has given me to the tee.

No scratching even if it itches.
Have plenty of rest, and sleep whenever was possible.
Keep those eye shields on all the time.

Keep my head leveled all the time.

Take medicine in time.
Take painkillers when needed.

I did it all.

Also in those two days I've missed Skye's visits. Every time she came by I was out cold and being the sweet-person she was, she didn't wake me up. By the time I was aware, she has already left and it would be too late to call her. We kept missing each other in this weird loop that bugged and frustrated me all together.

By day three I've reached my limit and I didn't care what time it was. I pulled out my phone and dialed. I was pacing madly and just blew the moment she picked up starting with my list of demands.

"You wake me up when you come by!" I growled in frustration, "No matter what the status is, you wake me up. Are we clear on that?"

"Sir, yes sir!"

She said stiffly, all military serious yet I could hear the hint of smile in her voice.

"You do not come to see me without actually seeing me!"

"Sir, yes sir!"

"And talking to me!"

"Sir, yes sir!"

"And kissing me!"

"Sir, yes sir!"

"And telling me that you love me!"

"Sir, yes sir!"

"Or at least hear me saying it to you!"

"Sir, yes sir!"

"I miss you!" I was losing the fight in me little by little with every demand until there was nothing left in me but yearning.

"I miss you too!" Her voice turned soft, "How are you?"

"Good. You?"

"Good"

There were voices in the back ground for a minute before she said, "Matt and Aunt Sophie said hi."

"Tell them hi." Slowly, I began to smile. Some bits of peace restored in me now that I've heard her voice.

We talked for quite some time, catching me up with everything I've missed during my slumber. Skye promised to swing by tomorrow and comply my list of demands. All of them.

I was smiling for a long time after we hang up.

Two days left before those bandages and eye shied came off.

I kept a short leash on my worries about the result, preserving the anxiety to myself. Whenever they started to surface I would drown them back.

One day at a time.