Rain on My Parade

We pulled up to park after about a full twenty minuets of peaceful sleep. By the time I had woken up the tension and grief had both disappeared from the atmosphere of the car. 

As we mad our way over to the field in the distance I saw Ashlin and Allen tossing a Frisbee back and forth. We walked up to them and Erika run over towards Ashlin. Ashlin Scoped her up in her arms and lifted her up. I looked around and recognized Allen Tyler and Ashlin, but did not recognize two younger looking boys.

Jericho waved at her and her and Allen walked towards us hand-in-hand. Ashlin was dressed very simple for once. At school she wears trendy clothes ,like the things you see at forever 21, wet seal, and Betty Jonson. But today she let her hair down in wild natural curls, wore a simple baggy gray t-shirt, a pair of black wayfarer sunglasses, flip-flops, and dark grey skinny jeans. 

"Hey." She said with a warm smile. 

"Hey." Jericho said back to her. I only nodded and smiled at her. Honestly it felt awkward being in a group of people. I felt like I was being observed and dissected. I shifted my weight uncomfortably from one leg to the other. I avoided eye contact and scanned the area hoping to see Angela. Once again she was nowhere to be seen. 

"Right Avery?" I heard Ashlin say. I then looked back at her. 

"What was that?" I asked her. 

"I said 'I barely see you around town.'" She told she with a smile still on her face. She did say it in a snobbish tone she was just saying it with her girlish Ashlin-ish voice. Well then again Ashlin Powell could tend to have a "sharp tongue" ... to put it nicely.

"What um.. yeah. I don't go out much." I said awkwardly. She was taken aback by my comment.

"Then what do you do?" She asked me.

"Well I work..." I trailed of.

"Oh! So your like- one of those serious type girls who's all-work-no-play?"  She tried to understand but fail to. 

"Well no  I-" 

"well which is it?" She asked me. 

"Well its not that I don't want to go out it's just that I end up staying home... that's all." I said as I looked  down at the ground. 

"Well we can change that. Right Jer?" She said as she nudged his shoulder. Jericho rolled his eyes and scoffed. 

"I'm not taking her to Qiunn's party." He told her. Ashlin pouted and said,

"Why not? I want some girl time." She told him. I raised my eyebrow at her. 

"Sorry but it's not my scene." I told her. She shrugged at me and then said, 

"I guess another time then." She said as she walked away back to Allen. Jericho and I sat down on the grass and watched the others play. 

"So what will you do if your family catches you?' He asked me. 

"They won't." I told him. He raised an eyebrow at me. I scoffed at him and shook my head. 

"I do this almost every day I work. I say I'm not feeling good, go to my room, lock the door, and slip out the window." I told him. 

"You avoided the question." He accused. 

"Fine. If I get caught it won't be good but I wouldn't let them touch me." I said as I smiled remembered Angela. 

"Then why do they still..." He trailed off not wanting to finish the sentence. 

"You can say it. I won't be offended. And to answer your question: I let my guard down and as soon they see that they ....." I tailed off not knowing how to finish the sentence.