60 | He Loves Me Not

Start from the beginning

Iris merely smiles, hands on the handle that helps her up to the bus. "If it's complicated, it means something." She said dramatically, taking in the moment before entering into the charter bus.

I turn back around, rolling my eyes at Iris' dramatics to find Gabriel in front of me. "Ready to go in?" I nod, answering his question. He holds out his hand, asking me to take it and I found myself laughing.

"You're just like Graham," I declare, snagging his hand into mine.

"Is he another competition I should be worried about?" Gabriel queries and I shake my head, a smile formed on my lips. "Alright, I already got Biceps to worry about and now I don't want to add that white dude on my list—I actually like him."

"Oh shut up," I roll my eyes as I pull him into the charter bus.

"Holy shit," words escaped Gabriel and mine's lips as we exit out of the bus and onto the sidewalk. The hotel of our gateway was right in front of the beach, supplied with a boardwalk to the main events and carnivals. Where we live, the beach was a far-off dream for us and the idea of one was almost a fantasy—you have to drive at least five hours to find a beach, and it might not even be a nice one at that either.

The ocean was brimmed with white sand and light blue waves. The shoreline was clean, supplied with enough comfortability and even a good space for isolation. The hotel had their spot terminated from other hotel competitors, holding almost the entire piece of the ocean shore.

"We are totally going to the water," Gabriel announces and I hit his arm.

"Of course; why would we come here for?"

Gabriel turns to me, lowering himself as his lips touch my ear, "I heard that a lot of seniors come here for more then, you know, swimming."

I quickly gotten his words and slap his arm, again. Growing up with Graham, I would be lying if I didn't know the sexual references made behind his words.

"GOD I NEED TO STRETCH MY LEGS," Graham's voice came in a boom, and before I knew it, he was right besides me as his arms moved in different directions and him bending over like an old man doing yoga.

"Francena, can we switch seats coming back," Iris groans, coming by my side as she gives Gabriel a small wave before looking back to me. "Graham ate all of my snacks."

"You let me,"

"You stole it!"

I shake my head as I look back out into the waves. Los Angeles was similar to this—beautiful ocean, nice weather and cool nights. Since our drive was quite long, it took a bit before we arrived and especially since the whole senior year gotten to the school around ten, the day ended before it begins. That's where the whole four days come into play.

"Do they always bicker like this?" Gabriel turns to me, as Graham and Iris turns into a heated argument about the cost of chips. I roll my eyes, nodding my head as I took a hold of Gabriel.

"One time they took something so far, they had to settle it on nerf guns."

"What does that even mean?"

"It means," Iris cuts in, eyes locked with Gabriel's hazel ones, "that this chip thief and I had to settle our fight with nerf guns—whoever got shot the most is the loser."

"And who won?" Lips perked up at Iris, slightly challenging her.

"This one," Iris slaps Graham's chest, causing him to roll his eyes. "But he won't tell people the story, I have to."

"Rose, it was a lucky shot!"

"Don't be a sore loser, Graham," Iris declares, crossing her arms as the chaperones begin to call the groups in to huddle around. Given, our senior class was approximately three-four hundred students, and some decided not to come—but that doesn't cease to credit the fact that we needed more than three charter buses. Finally, since all have arrived, we're huddled.

"Students, remember to have fun and be safe; you're near adults now, and since this is your last year—pick your rooms. You need four to a room." She begins to hand out cards to certain students, and I begin to huddle my hand over across the crowd and since I was a good bit taller than a majority of the girls, I managed to snag a card from the teacher's hands.

I turn to my friends, a smile wide on my lips as I dangle the card back and forth, "guess who got a card?"

"YES!" Iris cheers and Graham merely smiles.

"Alright, since it's four to a room—you, me, Graham and Gabe?" I turn to the boy, asking for permission if he wants to room with me.

"I mean, since you've asked nicely," Gabriel jokes, nodding his head.

"Alright, that's good," I said, "now let's get our bags, head to our rooms and sleep the day."

"And," Iris adds, "I researched this place and they got a lot of cool stuff to do. So, we got two days for it before the bonfire and I want to do them all."

"Jesus, how much did you research?" Graham asks, curious.

"Once I found out that I am officially going, from my study breaks, I went to research some ideas for what to do at the beaches and somehow got to this one and their activities. There's like parasailing if anyone is up for that."

"Hell yes," Gabriel agrees and I chuckle.

"That's sound fun for me," I nod, agreeing.

"And I'm obviously doing it if I added it to my list," Iris announces before turning to Graham who gulps.

"Heights," he said quietly, and I grab Graham's hand, squeezing it.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'll go with you and it's water underneath. If you'll fall, I'll unbuckle and swim to catch you."

He smiles, letting out a chuckle, "a bit better."

I laugh, and my name was called for my suitcase. I turn, seeing a chaperone holding up the black suitcase in her hands with the name tag in bold orange. I walk over, "thank you," I said, grabbing the suitcase from her hands as I begin to back up—not before seeing Julian in the distance; staring.

 I walk over, "thank you," I said, grabbing the suitcase from her hands as I begin to back up—not before seeing Julian in the distance; staring