"It won't happen again. But I still need to take the Victory to the fort."

"I'm afraid that if you can't wait, you'll have to tow her." Marina's smile became more friendly. "Let me invite you to lunch, Captain. We should try to start again on the right foot."

The man didn't hide his surprise. "It'll be my pleasure, Miss...

"Pearl is fine, Captain."

"Pearl. But that's not your true name."

"No. It's the name that those who respect me gave me."

Marina nodded one last time at him and stepped away from the gunwale, leaving him to digest their conversation.

"You invited him to lunch?" Maxó asked when she walked by him on the way to the bridge.

Morris leaned over the handrail. "He's got thirty guns, old wolf."

The pirate shrugged.

Those who had remained on the Phantom had a good fun, watching the Victory's crew lowering their boats away and bending over the oars. The Englishmen towed the frigate backwards first, and then to the center of the bay, where the ship finally had enough room to maneuver. Before the Victory reached the fort, the Phantom had glided like a swan to its berthing.

At noon, Sir Robin Dandleton had a boat row him to the filibuster ship, where Morris welcomed him on deck

At noon, Sir Robin Dandleton had a boat row him to the filibuster ship, where Morris welcomed him on deck. They shook hands, exchanging names, and Morris preceded him to the cabin. Like anybody who didn't know the Velazquez and walked in there for the first time, the refined luxury took the Englishman by surprise.

Morris invited him to take a seat and opened the trapdoor.

"Sir Dandleton is here."

"Set the table," Marina replied from the galley. "I'll be there in five."

"You'll have to forgive us, but our cook went ashore," Morris said to their guest, taking a tablecloth from the cupboard.

The Englishman remained seated, not even asking if he could be of help.

"You're lucky, having a wife who's so skilled in such different activities," he said while Morris placed dishes on the table.

Morris held his eyes for a moment and smiled. Like many others, the young knight had chosen the rumors over the truth. Over the year since Marina had come back from Campeche, they'd found out that many believed Morris was actually in charge and Marina was just his lover, who played captain to earn their ship more fame.

"Even if my wife were here, I don't think I'd dare to try something cooked by her unseasoned hands."

The guest didn't hide his surprise. "I'm sorry. You and the Pearl of the Caribbean aren't—?"

Morris faked a lack of understanding he was far from feeling. "Aren't what?"

"I thought she was your..."

"My what?"

"You know what I mean."

"No, Captain, I don't. Here we spell things out fully. It prevents misunderstandings."

Morris put a closed bottle of wine before him, for the Englishman to open it himself if he wanted to drink. He was setting the glasses when he heard Marina coming up, and he hurried to open the trapdoor to help her.

At least the Englishman had enough manners to stand up until she sat down. But Morris swallowed a chuckle at the guest's face when he saw her take the head of the table.

She noticed her friend was like a hedgehog around the Englishman, so she decided to try diplomacy, and served lunch as she asked their guest what business had brought him to Jamaica.

That way they found out that the reason why Henry Morgan hadn't committed any atrocity that year was because he'd been shipped back to England in the spring. Lynch's predecessor Modyford was still jailed in the Tower of London, for endorsing Morgan's slaughters in Portobelo, Maracaibo, Gibraltar and Panama.

The original plan of the English Crown had been to increase their control over the freebooters berthing in Port Royal, looking forward to reduce their numbers in such a way that it wouldn't cause an armed confrontation. But it had stumbled on the economic needs of the Crown. Charles II and his brand new ally Louis XIV had started another war against the Netherlands. So the new plan had changed, from getting rid of the freebooters to increase the number of letters of marque, in order to improve the colony's collection. And Sir Dandleton had been sent to be in charge of that task.

"I don't envy you," said Marina. "Have you already talked with Sir Thomas about it?"

"Yes, we had dinner last night." The Englishman flashed an ironic smile. "That's why I missed the event of the evening. Now I only have to get my officers back from the dungeon."

"A crew reflects their captain, and yours did you a disservice," she replied. "They stained your good name as soon as they set foot on land."

"Did Sir Thomas told you about the requirements he wants to impose to the new privateers?" asked Morris.

"Yes, a minimum for draft and guns." The Englishman discarded it with a move of his hand. "That's not the way to control the freebooters and increase our earnings."

Marina and Morris traded a look.

"Is this your first time in the Western Indias?" he asked.

"Yes."

"And have you taken part of war actions in Europe?" she asked.

"I hoped I'd join our ranks against the Dutch, but I was sent here."

"So you don't know the Caribbean and you have no experience in battle," said Morris. "But you'll decide who gets a letter."

"I have my instruction and my King's orders, Mister Van Dort. That's all I need."

Marina smiled. "If you're not in a hurry to sit in your office, we have a pending challenge with two of your privateers. Maybe you're interested in joining us. It won't take longer than a week."

"You'll have to excuse me, but I don't think Sir Lynch will authorize it."

Marina changed the conversation, and they finished lunch with no further comments about politics.