Chapter One: Suna

❝I'm a free spirit. Either admire me from the ground or fly with me, but don't ever try to cage me.❞ ㅡ Rei Koizumi

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER ONE

SUNA

             The sandy streets of Suna were empty, as usual, as the last rays of the sun hid on the horizon. In the Land of Wind, the soft, warm breeze of the desert in which the village stood blew in between the curious-looking houses — all of which were made of adobe.

"Mum, there's a boy sitting on the swing!"

A young family was walking by the park, heading home after a peaceful walk through Suna.

"Rei, do not look at him," the woman scolded her daughter while glancing ever so slightly at the redhead that, indeed, was quietly swinging in front of them.

Rei pouted and crossed her tiny arms over her chest as she stared at her mother defiantly.

"Why not? He looks so lonely," she mumbled as her big, orange eyes drifted towards the boy before focusing on her not-so-happy mother.

"He'd better be!"

And that seemed to be a final sentence, because the woman took Rei's hand and forcefully started to pull her away from the park. But Rei wasn't done; she didn't understand why her mother was suddenly acting so cold just by the mention of that sad-looking boy. It was almost out of character, for the woman tended to be so sweet and always wore a soft smile on her pale features.

With a strong tug, Rei managed to get her wrist out of her tight hold and puffed her cheeks.

"Why, mum? He's just a boy!" she argued, torn between confusion and anger.

But if she was expecting a proper answer, she would be highly disappointed.

"He's not; he's a monster!" Her sharp voice felt like a slap to her face, her annoyance so evident an unexpected wave of fear rushed to her heart and made the child take a step back.

Just by one look at both mother and daughter, everyone would notice their physical differences; they were nothing alike. While Akane was a round-faced woman — with long, blond hair and bright blue eyes — Rei was the complete opposite. The girl had taken after her father's defined features and had short, brown hair. However, it was her eyes what seemed to catch everyone's interest, for it was an unusual colour to see. Like the sunset, they shone with a mesmerizing, orange colour that not even the darkest night could battle against.

"There, there," her father placed a gentle hand on his wife's shoulder, before he bent down to smile at Rei softly. "You don't understand now because you're too young, Rei, but you have to promise me that you won't go near him."

His deep voice was enough to make her heart return to its natural pace, yet it didn't keep her curious mind away from that red-haired kid sitting on the swing. Her gaze flicked towards his slouched form, and a frown crept to her face at the sight of the desolated expression plastered across his features. With a sigh and a pout, the girl let her parents drag her away. 

Her father was right; she really didn't understand, didn't think she would ever find a reason to leave someone visibly in pain behind — it was inhuman and cruel.

Silently, not daring to move a finger, Gaara watched them walk away. Just like Rei; he was clueless as to why no one ever approached him, as to why he was sent a frightened glance — sometimes a sneer — whenever his path met someone else's. And he could only let his aquamarine eyes follow the family as their silhouettes faded in the distant horizon, and his solitude felt heavier with every step they took.