Part 15

I landed with a loud thump after a minute. I hit my knee, and my leg went numb for a second. My head was buzzing, and I almost fainted, as I tried to struggle up.

„Easy..." somebody groaned next to me, and as the rest of my body recovered, I felt we 're still holing each other's hands, Marcus and me. As I wanted to stand up, my hand pressed his against the ground. It must've hurt him.

„Sorry." I whispered, as I finally managed to get on my feet.

„No bother." He felt his palm, then kneed up as well. „Where are we?"

As we looked around, we saw trees, to be precise woods around us. Similar to the one at home...

How weird it was to think about it... This forest was sensibly larger... When I took a deep breath and smelled the strange scents, when the voices reached my ears, I knew, this was another forest...

I pushed away his hand, and stood up alone. My heart started to beat crazily at the thought, that we travelled into an unknown world through a mirror, and blood rushed through my veins making my ears buzzing.

Don't panic! I said to myself, and as I touched my head, I realised there's no hat. Funny how I missed it already.

„If Alice and her friend passed through before us, not to mention the pigeon, they should be nearby..." Marcus stepped beside me.

„And how will we find them? What am I, an indian?"

Marcus looked at me, examining my hairdo thoroughly, put away a few locks, and laughed at me.

„We should work on your costume. A feather would do..."

I didn't expect him to touch me, it confused me. It made me more nervous, that the only thing a bit familiar is Marcus.

He looked around in the woods one last time, then started in one specific direction with steady steps.

I didn't see anything worthy to make that direction different, but Marcus turned back, reached out his hand to me, and I had to follow.

We walked on and on between strange pine-trees and the ferns covering their roots.

It didn't seem as if the woods would get thinner, I couldn't see its end. But Marcus kept on walking steadily, until we heard the voice.

„What's that, a dinosaur?" Marcus laughed, and I'd agree with him, if it wasn't so impossible. But I simply couldn't believe it. Some bird-like scream was in the deep thundering voice. I've never heard anything before.

I followed him with a sigh, and stepped closer and closer secretly. Shortly after I was two steps right behind him.

To tell the truth I've been shaking with cold fear for minutes.

Once we heard noises from the bushes, and suddenly I saw Alice, running in our directly with laughter, followed by David.

She saw is earlier, but David did only then, when he was almost standing in front of us. He kept on looking behind him, as if he was checking on anybody following them.

„Alice...!"

„David...!"

„Kate...!"

„Marcus...!"

We looked at each other with great surprise, shared a laugh, then Marcus and I told them interrupting each other, what we're doing here. Marcus returned Alice her bag, and she thanked politely.

But neither she, nor David was in the mood to tell us, what they're doing here, and what's this place anyway. I was dying of curiosity, and I didn't want to leave it that way.