Part 9

From that moment on I prepared myself for the leaving knowingly.

I visited all my acquaintances and friends among the refugees. I listened their stories, laughed at their jokes, but I forced my thoughts to wander about my things at home...

What would I say at the agency? What a mess I'd have in my flat... Has my favourite series on the telly ended yet?

And I waited for the arrival of the lift-bus.

Owl recovered after two days, and left her room smilingly by the arms of Hatter. He was smiling too. I gave him a nod, and Owl a great kiss upon her face.

Then I jumped into work again.

Finally Duck arrived. He brought a tiny bottle made of glass for me. I could've hidden it in my palm, it was so small. I held it into the light, but it seemed empty.

"I managed to get only a few drops..." he apologised, but I couldn't be grateful enough.

"Thank you." I whispered with tears in my eyes, and held him tight. "Take care of yourself."

"Already planning to leave, little girl?" he looked at me.

"Soon, yes..." I smiled at him, and hid the bottle in my pocket.

Owl was sitting in her room wrapped herself in a shawl, when I stepped in.

"Good that you came." she reached her hand to me with a smile. Apples were sitting on the table, and I had no idea where they could've found them. I set myself into the armchair.

"I have great news. Duck found a looking glass."

First I didn't understand why a mirror could be so fantastic. Then I was brightened up slowly, when I tried to recall the mirrors in the Great Library – in vain. There wasn't any here.

Owl explained immediately.

"The Suits have kidnapped you through the Looking Glass of the Queen. But if your longing is strong enough to get home, you can make it through any common looking glass as well."

I couldn't laugh with happiness, but her enthusiasm infected me.

"I can go home..."

"Yes, if you want to..." Owl nodded, and she didn't smile either.

I looked at her with sadness.

"If you really want to..." she whispered, and I turned my head down.

"I have to."

"No, you don't! You don't have to do anything against your will!" she shouted. "Make a free choice and do as your heart tells you."

I laughed anxiously.

"My heart...my heart is not to be trusted at present."

"He won't endure it if you leave him. Please stay..." she asked me with teardrops sitting on her lashes.

I didn't manage to make it without tears either.

"This was all because of that stupid tea... Just a vision, not reality... Just a dream..."

Owl took my hand, and squeezed it.

"Your love is more real, than this place, than the refugees, than the palace of the Queen of Hearts. Don't give it up so easily..."

I already burst into tears at that part.

"I got you only in trouble... And him too... You need him, but not like this... Not like a sleepwalker, not without his strength..."

"David can manage his own things so far, don't worry about him. You both should accept what heavens gave you, and let yourself some happiness... Please, Kate..."

I wiped my face.

"I am sorry, Owl. I've decided." I touched the bottle in my pocket. "I cannot express, how grateful I am. I wish I could do more for you..."

She cried silently. I took her in my arms, leaned closer to her, and we stayed that way for a very long time.