Part 14

A white pigeon flew over our heads. We all looked up to see where it went. The bird turned back with a last wide circle, right upon David's shoulders. He reached for the bird, and it walked over to his hand.

„How come it's not afraid of you?" I asked surprised, forgetting completely that I didn't dare to spit out a word previously.

David stroke the back of the pigeon, it didn't fly away, not even then. It waited patiently, until David checked its legs.

„Isn't it...?"Alice stood by him. „A carrier pigeon? I had no idea they're still used."

„It's Charlie's pigeon." David said in a strange voice, what only him and probably Alice could understand. She snuggled closer to him with excitement:

„Quick, open it... Hurry..."

David loosened the tied small piece of paper off the pigeon's leg, then let it sit back upon his shoulder. He folded out the message, and read it silently. As if he didn't intend to le tus hear it as well.

„Mary Elisabeth has escaped. Jack asks for help. Come. The pigeon knows the way."

I didn't understand a word from it, but Alice and David surely did, as they both looked pale and concerned at each other.

„Let's go." Alice nodded and took David's hand.

„Are you sure?"

„Come on. Catch the witch!" Alice smiled, then turned to me.

I stared at her waiting an explanation.

„Kate, I'm so sorry, but our friend needs help, and we must leave immediately. I wish we could have some more talk... I hope you don't mind, do you?" She gave me a hug with an honest regret on her face, and I was run over by sorrow, as we had to get apart so soon.

„It's ok." I forced myself to smile, though I really wanted to cry for she left me here, alone.

„We see each other. I'll call you."

„Bye, Alice". David smiled at me as well, then he took the pigeon carefully, and off they were.

„I didn't know there's still somebody not using email or text." Marcus marked next to me, that gave me a shake.

The off-hand leaving of Alice and David surprised me so much, that I forgot about Marcus completely.

As I turned at him, I saw something beside him on the bank.

„Alice left her bag here." I stood up, but he was faster and took the bag.

„What are we waiting for then? Bring it to her."

I looked uncertain. I had no idea what to say. Why on earth did he care about the bag of Alice? She was my friend.

Marcus hurried after them. He didn't even look back. As if he took it granted, that I'd follow. What else could I do?

Wherever we looked, we couldn't find them among the talking groups or at the pavilion, but not even at the distant parking lot.

„Look that way!" Marcus pointed up suddenly, to the sky, where I could also see the white pigeon following his finger. „Let's go that way."

It was quite hard to get on, as we crushed into trees and bushes as we followed the pigeon. In the meantime we got distant from the lakeshore and the reunion, finding ourselves in a dense forest within a few minutes.

„And which way now?" Marcus looked at me, but I didn't have a clue. I pulled my shoulder. I only followed him until now.

As I looked around helplessly, I saw something sparkling nearby.

„Check this out... there..." I showed him the way toward the bushes, and he nodded.

As we got closer going around the undergrowth, I saw something larger, darker behind that bush. I made a circle, and on the other side there was a huge mirror leaning to a tree-trunk.

„How did this get here?" It seemed so strange int he middle of a park, that I stepped near almost in fear. I feared the worst.

„The pigeon flew this way... But I cannot see them..." Marcus was turning his head around, hoping he could see something we missed before.

In this very moment the white pigeon flew between us, right to the mirror. I expected it'd knock the surface with a big bang, ending down among the dead leaves. It simply disappeared instead.

„Wow..." we stared after it open-mouthed. „Do you think..." we said to each other at the same time, then we laughed.

Marcus went closer to the looking glass, until he was standing only a few inches from it. He leaned forward to the silver surface, and I found myself watching his picture with him.

„And now?" Marcus looked at me in the mirror.

„I don"t know." I opened my arms helplessly. I felt sad to the thought that Alice'd disappeared. We just hardly met... It'd be so good to warm up this old friendship. I left the mirror with a deep sigh, and sat on a smaller trunk nearby. I was turning Alice's bag in my hand.

Marcus crouched down in front of me.

„We should go after them."

„What?... Are you crazy?..." my eyes grew big, but he kept smiling.

„Is there anything we should not go?"

„This is... just a mirror, Marcus..." I groaned, and I couldn't have denied I was afraid, because of my voice. Then as I looked at her bag, I remembered mine. That I left on the bank.

„This cannot be true." I took my head, cursing my stupidity listening to him and running away. How could I be so careless?

„I have to go back. It was a mistake to come here." I moved to get up, but he preceded.

„We go together." he stated in an authoritative tone, he took my hand and pulled me up.

„No... wait..." I cried, but we were already standing at the mirror after a few rushing steps, he pulled me into the nothing, and my voice was swallowed by some blue light. Fear made me dumb. As if I was falling into icy water. I started to tumble, while I felt the hand of Marcus squeezing mine.