Part 20

We all had breakfast together. It seemed nobody noticed my journey at dawn, and I haven't told anybody either.

„We go home tomorrow night." Alice said and some quiet cheer was made at the table. David reached through it to hold her hand. I smiled at Owl.

„Can we leave now?" Marcus asked with surprise. „I thought you have some urgent things to do here, you left the reunion in such a rush."

Alice and David shared a look, then a laugh.

„Please excuse us." David apologised. „But the situation is that it was roughly a month ago."

„Local time, he means." Alice added.

Our big eyes told everything. David showed some mercy and explained a few things.

Our wide eyes told everything. David was merciful and explained some things to us.

„This world is paralell to yours. Our people call it Wonderland, you may also understand why. Time goes on differently than at home. Charlie, the White Knight, our good friend actually, called us here, as they had problems. The Queen, who's been dethroned and forced to exile because of her cruelty and tyranny, escaped with the help of outsiders, and was going to chase away King of Hearts. Who is her son, by the way."

„It took us some time and stratagem to send back the old witch where she belongs." Alice took over the story. „But now everything's just fine. We will escort you home, we were about to leave already as well."

„You were, but after you helped Charlie to catch the lizard, right?" Owl laughed. „Why do you always have to get into some trouble?"

„There is still something to be settled." David said with a serious look. „You must promise, that you'll speak to nobody about what you saw here. They wouldn't believe you anyway... But you must promise."

Marcus and I nodded at once.

„We give our word."

„And what about that poor Suit, who was drunken by the Queen? David, you promised you'd fetch me some Remembering, to cure him." Owl looked at David with nerves.

„I've brought you some, don't worry. I have it here, after breakfast you'll get it. And I have some Honesty as well, for the worst case."

I didn't fully understand their conversation, but Owl was ready to tell us some more.

„The former Queen stole emotions from people, who were kidnapped from your world. She drank positive emotions like potions. Then a young girl taught her a lesson, that the world is not only red and white."

She smiled at Alice, who just kissed David.

„We still have some supplies in the Teahouse, that was run by David before. But not much. And we use it only in case of emergency."

„What do they taste like? Are they really poisoning?" I asked curiously. David answered.

„If you have never tasted it before, and you are receptive, you will only feel flowers or fruits. But if you've already drunk some Tea, everything will depend on what was in the previous one. It's no good mixing emotions, as you cannot be prepared for the consequences."

„Would you allow me to join you?"

Owl started to resist immediately, but David was more permissive.

„Come on, she can even help you, Owl. I know how hard the first day is..."

Owl finally nodded with loath, but her mode changed apparently.

The Suit wore a suit indeed, with card signals and numbers. He was sitting with a morose face in a room, the door was locked.

David arrived with a glass, we're waiting at the door.

„I brought you some water." He said the Suit. „If you drink this, you'll get a nice room, and after a few days you can return to the Palace. His Highness is already waiting."

„I have only one Queen." The guy growled, but David insisted on him taking the glass.

„To the Queen then."

„To the Queen of Hearts!" The guy cried, and as he drank the glass, the collapsed in the chair.

„Done then." David smiled. „I'll fetch Owl, she can come to cure his soul and his headache."

„What was that?" Marcus asked, and I was curious as well.

„Remembering. We have no idea, what that witch made him to drink, why he betrayed the King, thus we'll have to call his memories back with such a drastic method. Thereafter he'll be as loyal to the King as before the outrage."

„And what's it taste like?"

„Strawberry..."

„Can I taste it?" I smiled at David waiting.

„Curiosity killed the cat!" he warned me, but seeing my begging face he gave in.

"All right, OK. Just a little... anyway, you had only some Calm and Trust."

"So you did give me something to drink, didn't you?" I attacked him accusingly first, but I smiled forgivingly then as he poured some tea.

"Never mind, I'm not angry. Cheers!" I raised the cup to my lips and drank the liquid.

Owl entered the room in this very moment. As she saw me drinking something, She grabbed David's hand and started to shout.

"What have you given her, you luckless boy? What is Kate drinking? You should know the best, that you mustn't take Tea easily. And she already had some yesterday..."

David didn't understand anything, only shaking his head.

"It was just a little Remembering, Owl... Don't be mad... Kate only had some Calm, what wrong could that do?"

Owl screamed, and we all got frightened. Alice took her arm and helped her to an armchair. David kneeled next to her.

"What's wrong, Owl, what happened, Anything we don't know about?"

Owl seemed very upset. I saw her even crying. She took David's hands, looking at me.

'I am so sorry, son... I thought I could bring these memories with me to the grave... Kate has been here before... a few months ago... Suits kidnapped her, like many others from her world. She stayed with us here for a few days, before she returned home... and... " She cried our loud, and couldn't continue. The room was dead silent. The shock hold back us all from speaking.

Owl got herself together, and told us the rest.

"You and she drank from the same tea by mistake. It would have been no harm... Bu Kate... she couldn't bear the consequences. To find a solution and make things right she got some Forgetting. And you both drank that too... You know well, what will now happen... Remembering will turn back everything. Kate will know and feel everything she knew and felt before Forgetting..." Owl covered her face with her hands.

"But why is that such a big problem, Owl? Tell me, please, what was we both drank?" David begged her.

Until now Owl watched me looking for the effects of the tea, but at this point she looked at David.

"Oh my dear son, what happens now... Kate and you drank of... True Love..."

Alice screamed, David jumped up, and Marcus simply walked out of the room with his head down.

They surrounded me waiting. I didn't try to identify the different feelings in that overwhelming flood, that ran towards me from their eyes. I felt the living fire flaring inside me, burning up all the feelings and thoughts I had this morning before the Tea.

As I looked at David, the memories ran over me, and I remembered each and every moment I had months before here, in the Great Library. The pictures were so sharp, that I feared they'd tear my soul into pieces.

"We loved each other... Hatter..." I whispered with dry lips, and it seemed air was sucked out of the room in a second. I saw Alice running out crying and David trying to hold her back in vain. Then all I remembered was the floor coming closer and all went dark.