Chapter 22: The Vows

                 Walking was agonizing.

My feet had never felt so heavy in my life, and I’d never been on a longer journey than the one I took down the aisle. The only thing that kept me going was Eddie’s steady footsteps. Well, that, and the handsome dhampir waiting for me underneath the rose-covered altar.

Dimitri was stunning. He’d taken my breath away countless times since we’d met; we’d hurt each other, sacrificed our lives, and had somehow found a way to keep our love alive. If that wasn’t breathtaking on its own, I didn’t know what was but, today, he was even more beautiful than normal.

He’d found the rest of his tux and it fit perfectly; I was really liking this custom tailored thing the Royals got. It hinted at his muscles without being too tight and hung just right on his broad shoulders. He had a white and red rose on his lapel, his hair tied back in a soft ponytail. Loose pieces fell around his face, creating a frame for the glowing smile he wore especially for me. I couldn’t keep myself from smiling back.

Amidst all of this crap, we were still getting married today. It’d taken us years to get to this point; years, a lot of pleading, and a whole ton of persuading promises from him. I couldn’t help but be a little happy; weren’t brides supposed to be, anyway?

He made the walk easier. Every step I took, the heels got lighter until I was moving even faster than Eddie. I couldn’t wait to come home to my Dimitri.

                At the end of the aisle, Dimitri held out his hand and, as tradition required, Eddie gave mine away. He smiled at me before nodding to Dimitri, taking his place among the groomsmen.

                Dimitri’s eyes were on mine, a lifetime’s worth of love shining on his face.

“My Roza,” he whispered, his smile softening. He didn’t have to say I was beautiful; I could see it in his eyes.

“Told you I’d be in white,” I answered with a smirk.

                He shook his head and turned towards the priest, his fingers woven securely through mine.

                I had been to countless weddings in my lifetime. Lissa was invited constantly and, therefore, so was I; we went to them like nobody’s business. They were boring and usually had bad catering, but we had to go for social status reasons, as Lissa said. I usually kept my focus on everything but the “happy couple” knowing I’d want to make some sarcastic comment about their fairytale ending. Well, I still made the comment; at least I restrained myself during the ceremony.

But, standing at the altar, the view was completely different.

I could see why people actually looked forward to this. Waiting under the flowers, listening to the priest promise you forever with the person you loved, having friends and family around; I understood why this was supposed to be enjoyable. And it was.

It was.

After an eternity, the priest finally got around to the important part.

“May I have the rings?” he asked, his voice quiet but still echoing through the room. I looked to my bridesmaids, my gaze lingering on Lissa’s empty space.

She was the one who was supposed to have our rings.

                Mia and Viktoria’s eyes widened as they came to my realization, and, from behind Dimitri, I heard Christian say a word not suited for a wedding ceremony. The darker part of me hoped he’d lay into Lissa for this later.

                Whispers rumbled through the crowd, and I felt Dimitri’s grip on my fingers tighten before they relaxed again, a chuckle rolling through his chest.

“Here,” he smiled and released my hand. He pulled the ponytail holder from his hair, doubling it up into a small ring and holding it up for my inspection. “It’s no diamond, but it should do.”

                I couldn’t hide my own laughter as I did the same, my curls tumbling down around my shoulders under the veil. Everyone was intrigued now, watching the crazy Guardian couple getting married without their wedding bands. The room was quiet as our wedding party smiled; Lissa would not ruin this for us, even after the hell she put us through to get here.

“If you’d repeat after me, Rosemarie?” the priest said. Even he was smiling at our improv.

                I shook my head, turning to Dimitri. “I wrote something myself, instead.”

                We’d talked about this, but I’d said no; it was too much in too short a time. But, sitting in that makeup chair being transformed into Guardian Barbie Bride, I’d found the time. I only hope he had, too.

I cleared my throat and met Dimitri’s eyes, holding his hand in mine with the ring poised at the end of his finger. “I, Rosemarie Hathaway, take you, Dimitri Belikov, to be my forever. I swear to always be honest with you and to always let you make the coffee in the morning. I will help you and honor you and occasionally respect you, and I will love you with every piece of my soul. I promise to be with you in this life and every one after this; I promise to always be yours.”

I slid the ring onto his finger and he brought our hands to his lips, his grin almost splitting his face. He gently brushed my loose hair behind my ear; I almost kissed him then.

“And, Dimitri?” the priest asked again. “Repeat–“

“I’ve got it,” Dimitri smirked, repositioning our hands. His fingers were warm against mine, his voice soft as he spoke. “I, Dimitri Belikov, take you, Rosemarie – my Roza, to be my forever. I promise to adore you and attempt to protect you, though you always say you don’t need it.” A chuckle rolled through the room. “Я люблю тебя всей душой. I love you with all my soul, Roza. ты моя любовь навсегдa. You are my love forever, and I promise to always be yours. It’s taken me years, but I am so happy to finally call you my wife.”

                For one of the only times in my life, I felt tears pricking my eyes as he slid the hair band into place beside my engagement ring. Our hands clasped each others, calloused and bruised, but beautiful in their own way. They fit together perfectly; we did. And now, we always would.

“I am pleased to introduce Mr. and Mrs. Dimitri Belikov,” the priest’s voice boomed, his hands held up as cheers thundered out. “You may kiss the bride!”

                Dimitri tilted my face to his and, before his lips came to mine, I heard him whisper, “I love you, Roza. I love you so much it hurts me.”