Chapter 1: Smile

Chapter 1: Smile

I knew this was going to be bad, but I had no idea it'd be this horrible.

Whenever Lissa, Dimitri, and the entire Court tried their best to keep something from me, it was obvious something was up, and that that something had to be pretty huge. But, this was beyond even their imaginations.

Granted, I should have probably seen it coming with how badly Lissa hinted at a wedding after she'd gone through her own. Dimitri had proposed long before Christain had even considered it, and we still hadn't even started planning our big day. Five years and I still wore the same ring, no closer to being Guardian Belikov than I was before. So much for Guardian instincts.

When we pulled up to the Council building, Dimitri parked our SUV and came to open my door for me, grabbing my hand in the process to make sure I couldn't bolt.

"You know, Lissa only means well," he smirked down at me, leading me through the maze that was Lissa's favorite place in Court.

"She also needs to butt out," I countered, rolling my eyes at him. We twisted through halls, went up an elevator, and finally found ourselves in front of a big door marked "Private". "Did she plan some intervention or something?"

He chuckled and shrugged, scanning his Guardian I.D. and opening the door. It was pitch black, but, the moment I stepped inside, the lights flew on and a couple dozen people yelled,

"Happy wedding, Mrs. Belikov!"

I blinked in shock at them all, studying the faces around the room. Lissa was in the center, as was her right, with Christian, who kept an arm around his wife. My mother was in one corner with a couple other Guardians, and an array of Royal stylists and other professionals littered the room.

"What the hell, Lissa?" I asked, glaring right at her as Dimitri and Christian both continued to laugh.

She grinned at me, resting her hands on her rounding belly, a clear sign of the fact that she was both pregnant and still in charge. "It's part of my wedding gift."

She waddled down to me, a fleet of Guardians helping her out of her chair and creating a small circle around her as she moved. Usually, I was the one right next to her, but, on days off, the cavlary came in to do one woman's job. It didn't help that she was the Queen, one of the last Dragomirs, and pregnant; that last part really sent the Moroi and Guardian Councils over the edge about protection.

I dropped Dimitri's hand and immediately offered her an arm as she got near, but she waved me off.

"You're about to pop, Liss," I scolded, but she only laughed.

"I'm fine, Rose," she answered, nodding towards the people on the outskirts of the room. "Let's get this started!"

Taking their cue, the mob descended and split me and Dimitri, each of us being dragged off to a corner of the room. Christian went with my future husband, both of them chuckling while Christian's tailor began measuring both of them for tux's.

"Is this really necessary, Liss?" I sighed, unwillingly standing on a small stool so a petite Moroi woman could begin her own measurements. She chatted with Lissa in an easy manner, but I recieved tense glares and surprised huffs as she wrapped the tape around my body.

Liss smirked. "It was necessary for mine, so it is for yours."

"But we wanted-"

"Dimitri explained already," she said with a smile as a Guardian brought over a comfortable chair for her. "Something small and before the summer ends."