Having A Water Fight Like Idiots

We ran blindly through the trees hoping to find somewhere to hide as the air filled with the sounds of the rain creatures. It started out as hissing and growling, but quickly rose to howls and shrieks. The rain had woken them and it wouldn't be long until they stirred from their dens.

Their cries echoed across the forest alongside the sound of the pounding rain that poured down on us. We finally came to a small rundown building with broken windows. Its gray paint was sliding off, pooling around its foundations and leaving it a bleached white. Its door was lying on the ground from where it had been busted so it was easy to scramble our way inside.

The inside was lined with shelves that seemed to be full of vines and gardening supplies. We ducked behind one of them and settled on the cracked grey tiles of the floor. I panted heavily as I looked over at my shaking parents.

"Now what?" I whispered.

My father shook his head and shrugged. "We wait till it stops and those creatures go back to sleep."

My mother swallowed as she looked between us and nodded in agreement.

So we waited for a while, but the rain didn't stop and the sounds of the creatures began to draw nearer. I tried to relax, but my heart refused to slow down. My parents weren't in any better shape, both of them clinging to each other as their eyes flicked around the room.

We all tensed as the sound of claws on metal filled the air, shortly followed by a loud clanging and a sharp snarl. It had come from the back of the building and as I peered around the shelves I caught sight of the creature. Its shaggy fur was matted to its form and it hung down to the floor, leaving wet trails as the creature sloshed through the store. It was almost as tall as the shelves, its pointed ears reaching the height of their tops. Its paws had curled claws that scrapped against the tile. I blinked as I noticed that said tile was cracking under the creature's weight. What was that thing? I'd never seen one like that.

We sat frozen in place and tried to breath quietly. I tried to resist sucking in a large breath when I caught sight of the things head as it moved between the shelves. Its snout was held open, black tongue hanging to the side and dragging on the floor. Its lips were curled back, almost looking melted, reveling the thing's jagged, glassy-looking teeth.

My mother let out a whimper as she caught sight of the creature and its ears immediately swiveled in our direction. I held my breath as the creature inhaled through its open mouth. It let out a snarl as its orange eyes landed on us.

We were on our feet and running out the door as soon as the creature prepared to pounce. The clattering sound of falling shelves followed us as the creature knocked them aside.

We rushed back into the forest, only to turn around when we heard a bang and the sound of cracking drywall. The creature was too wide to fit through the door and was now stuck there, glaring at us and snapping its teeth violently. The walls around the doorway didn't look like they'd hold long, so we quickly turned back to the forest and tore through the foliage.

As we ran we could hear the startled shrieks of the creatures as we passed them and the crashing of the underbrush as they gave chase. My lungs heaved as I followed my mother and father, but we were soon halted when something streaked out of the bushes and blocked our way.

It was dripping wet, water running off its large plated scales and jagged tusks. There where long spikes along its back that trailed down to the tips of its forked tail. It hissed at us through spiny teeth and ground its clawed feet into the damp grass.