Chapter 17

Mean's POV

I struggled in the first few days of running my father's Taiwan branch of his company. But it was better that way because I was able to keep from missing Plan too much. I was always up to my neck with work.

If things had been easy for me I probably would have a lot of time on my hands just thinking about him and wanting to fly back to Bangkok to be with him.

Before I knew it, it was Friday evening and I quickly booked a red eye flight to Bangkok.

I arrived in Bangkok at five in the morning. I had slept throughout the flight so when I landed I didn't feel tired.

I had forgotten to inform my dad that I was flying back to Bangkok this weekend so there was no one to pick me up at the airport.

I decided to take a cab and instructed the driver to bring me to Plan's apartment address. I wanted to surprise him so I did not give him any call since Friday evening.

My heart was beating fast in happy excitement as I buzzed on his front door.

"Happy to see me?" I asked with my arms stretched wide when Plan opened the door.

I had expected him to fling himself straight into my open arms but instead he stood frozen with a shocked and scared expression, his face looking very pale.

"Who is at the door, baby?" P'Chao stepped out into the living room, his hair dripping wet, with only a towel draped around his waist.

"M...Mean, I ca...can explain..." P'Plan stammered.

"Don't bother," I said, turning away, walking fast, and then breaking into a run when I heard P'Plan's footsteps following me.

"Mean! Please don't go! Give me a chance to explain!" I could hear him pleading as he ran after me but I could run faster than him so he couldn't keep up with me.

I kept on running not knowing where I was going. I just knew that I had to run as far away from P'Plan as possible.

I found myself at a busy intersection. I looked behind me. P'Plan had finally given up on following me.

I had become breathless from my nonstop running and needed to find a place to sit down and rest. I saw a fast food restaurant a few steps away and decided to go there. I had not yet eaten breakfast anyway, although I did not have any appetite because of what just happened to me.

I ordered a hot bowl of oatmeal with cut up apples and raisins and sprinkled cinnamon and an eight ounce bottled water.

As I scooped a spoonful of my oatmeal, my phone started to ring. I knew from the ringtone that it was P'Plan calling. I ignored it and let it go to my voicemail.

In a few seconds my phone sounded to let me know that he had left a voicemail but I did not listen to it.

I did not realize that my tears had been falling until one drop fell onto the back of my hand as I scooped another spoonful of oatmeal.

It was my fault, really. I had that heavy feeling lingering around me the whole time that I was in Taiwan. It was as if my intuition was telling me that something was awfully wrong somewhere but I had chosen to ignore it.

I grabbed the table napkin and used it to wipe away the tears from my eyes. I felt so betrayed.

Would I ever be able to forgive him? How long before this pain will fade away?

I kept asking myself all kinds of questions. In the end there was only one answer to all my questions. Only time will tell. When will that time come? Who knows?