Chapter 32:

Chapter 32

         The next day I saw Rhys.

          It was awkward, and that was just putting in mildly. We hadn't spoken since the time I ran into him, drunk and upset. Of course, we still saw each other at school but I made sure to avoid him at all costs. 

          "Um," he coughed. "Hey."

          "Hi," I responded, staring at the book in my hands. It was a student's exercise book that had been left behind after class and I was on my way to return it to her.

          "How is everything?" he asked pointedly. 

          It took me a second to realise he was referring to me and Sam. "Oh, er, fine. Thanks."

          He nodded and shifted on his feet absent-mindedly. 

          "Thank you," I said suddenly and smiled. "For the other night, I mean. I was really glad I ran into you."

          An easy smile slipped onto his face. "Don't thank me," he said softly. "What are friends for?"

          At the word friends, a pained look filled his eyes. But before I could really notice it, it was gone. The smile dropped too and the pokerface was back. I sighed mentally, this was exactly what I wanted to avoid.

          "You're a really good friend," I said firmly. 

          He liked me more as a friend and it hurt me to turn him down. It was just a one-sided crush -- I could never return his feelings. Sam's face entered my mind and warmth filled my chest. Nope, I'd fallen hard and Rhys was really wasting his time with me.

          "Thanks," he replied. 

          "Well, I have to go." I raised the book in my hands. "I guess I'll see you around?"

          "Wait," Rhys said as I turned to go. "Do you, maybe... want to grab lunch with me today? As friends," he quickly added when I gave him a look.

          I didn't see why not. "Sure," I responded. "You want to eat here or go out somewhere?"

          "Go out."

          "Right, 'kay. Let me just return this and I'll meet you at the entrance in, fifteen minutes?"

          "Cool."

          I didn't know why I agreed. I guess I kind of felt sorry for him. And also... he'd grown on me. I liked his company. As long as he didn't try anything, we could be good friends. After tracking down the girl and giving her her book, I grabbed my coat and purse and met Rhys.

          "Ready?" 

          "Yep," I said.

          We made out way out to the car park and I located my car. There was a figure next to it, though I couldn't really make out who it was. When I got close enough, my eyes widened.

          Sam.

          His eyes drifted away from mine to Rhys'. I swallowed nervously as my boyfriend's eyes narrowed and felt even more guilty when I saw the flowers in his hand. 

          This isn't going to be pretty.

          "Who's this?" they asked simultaneously.

          I was quiet for a few seconds. "Erm," I cleared my throat. "Sam, this is Rhys. Rhys, this is Sam."

          Both pairs of eyes flashed with recognition. Rhys immediately dropped his gaze to the ground while Sam looked warily at Rhys.

          "What are you doing here?" I asked.

          "I was going to take you out to lunch," Sam answered in a hard voice, his eyes fixed on Rhys. "But I guess you've already made plans."

          I bit my lip. "Sam-"

          He shook his head. "I'm going to go. Here," he thrust the flowers into my hand before spinning around and stalking away. I watched him walk away, open-mouthed before I felt tears stinging my eyes. Of course he'd react like this - he knew Rhys liked me and he'd just caught me going to lunch with him, not my boyfriend.

          "I'll be two minutes," I told Rhys apologetically before running to catch up with Sam. Which wasn't easy in high heels. "Sam!" I called. "Sam, wait! Let me explain!"

          He spun around to glare at me. "Explain what? How you'd rather hang out with him than me?"

          "It wasn't like that, I swear!" I cried. "I didn't know you were coming... and he asked me - what was I supposed to say?"

          "How about no?" he said bluntly.

          "You're jealous," I accused and took a step closer to him. "Don't worry, I don't like him like that. We're friends. I love you."

          The glare stayed for a few seconds before he sighed. "I know that. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have over-reacted."

          I smiled. "Don't apologise. It's fine." I paused before smiling wider. "And thanks for the flowers.  It was really sweet of you."

          A cute blush appeared on his face and he averted his gaze. "Um..."

          "Well, I don't know about you, but I'm hungry," I said, grinning. "Wanna go eat?"

          He nodded eagerly but stopped. "What about... Rhys?"

          "Oh," I said, slapping my forehead. "I forgot about him. I feel really bad about blowing him off..."

          "He'll understand."

          "I suppose," I said, shrugging. "I can always go with him another day, right?"

          When Sam didn't say "yeah" I looked at him, puzzled. The hard look was back on his face and I didn't like where this was going. I had a bad feeling.

          He licked his lips nervously. "Kat... I don't want you to talk to him anymore."

          Yeah... I guess that gut feeling was right after all.

          Not many chapters left!!! :o AND IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR since when I first started this story. Wow, can't believe it =] Vote + comment xxx Oh and pic of Sam >>>