Chapter 26: The Third Wheel

Sorry it's 3 weeks late!

_____________________________________________________________________

After a bit of snogging, and almost a quick journey to the bed, we left the apartment and made our way to the taxi. Even though it was me who wanted to come out with Sarah in the first place, I began having second thoughts.

         For one thing, she looked like a model as soon as we met up with her and I had to nudge Sam really hard in the ribs to get him to look away. And also, she had her bitch face on.

         "Sam! Kat!" Sarah squealed, hugging me briefly before turning towards Sam. I rolled my eyes as she gave him a lingering kiss on the cheek. How desperate. Didn't she have any dignity?

         "Hey," I greeted her, shoving my way in between them. "How've you been?"

         "Oh, I've been great," she said, pausing at a shop window to admire her reflection. Dressed in a short blue dress that brought out her eyes, she certainly was easy on the eyes. "What about you?"

         "Good."

         She nodded and then bit her lip as an awkward silence settled. I personally didn't mind them. I was generally a quiet person and it was never usually up to me to fill in silences. Sam, however, was the total opposite.

         "So," he said cheerfully, moving around to Sarah's side so that, as we walked, she was now in the middle. He put his arms around her. It was a casual gesture, but the smug look from Sarah had my blood boiling.

         "So," Sarah said in a slightly down voice. "I'm really happy for you guys. You're so perfect for each other."

         Complete and utter lie.

         "Um, where are we going?" I asked, licking my lips nervously. They seemed totally at ease and then there was me, paranoid and jealous.

         Wait, what? I shouldn't be jealous! I'm his girlfriend now, not her.

         "Just some club," she responded vaguely before continuing her conversation with Sam. "Do you remember the time when I put baby-powder in your hair-dryer?"

         "Yeah!" Sam cried, laughing. "And then it all stuck to my wet hair! I looked like a ghost!"

         "I know," she replied, giggling. It was high-pitched and girly and set my teeth on edge. "But it was nothing compared to some of the pranks you played on me."

         I crossed my arms across my chest and stalked ahead of them.

         Well. This should be interesting.

**

         I've never been the third wheel about it. I mean, you hear about it from your friends, about how awkward and boring it was, and then you just hope it never happens to you. Well, it happened to me.

         How stupid. I'm the girlfriend, I shouldn't have been the third wheel!

         Sam sipped his beer. "I remember when we got kicked out of Pizza Hut."

         Sarah laughed, choking on her drink. I smiled faintly as her face turned red, but then it dropped as soon as Sam patted her back. "Are you alright?" he asked, chuckling.

         "I'm fine," she said, gasping for air. My eyes stayed fixed on his lingering hand, now on her shoulder.

         I pursed my lips. "Hey guys, can we-"

         "Oh my gosh!" Sarah suddenly spluttered. I looked up and groaned. Typical.

         "Ugh..." Sam said, pulling a face. It looked like he'd just peed himself but really, Sarah had "accidentally" spilt her drink on him.

         Her mouth formed the shape of an 'O'. "I am so sorry, Sammy! Come on, let's go clean you up!"

         "But-" Sam turned around to look at me.

         I tried to stop myself from shooting a glare at him. Sighing, I waved him off. "Go. I'll be fine."

         "Are you-"

         "Yes, I'm sure," I snapped at Sarah. "Now just go."

         She looked at me innocently but didn't comment. When she took hold of his hand I was past caring anyway. They could do what they liked.

         When someone asked to dance with me, I almost said no. But then again, Sarah and Sam had been gone for over ten minutes and I was bored.

         "Sure," I said and allowed them to tug me away from the bar.

         It felt good to see Sam angry, for him to feel the same way I'd been feeling the whole night.

         "What the hell are you doing?!" he shouted, definitely out of rage rather than to be heard over the loud music. Sarah observed curiously.

         "What?" I asked with the attitude of a teenager.

         "Why are you dancing with some random stranger?" he said, jabbing a finger in his direction.

         I shrugged nonchalantly. "Why not?"

         "Because!" he spluttered. "Because you're my girlfriend! And... well..."

         I put my hands on my hips and arched an eyebrow. "Oh, so now you decide to pay attention to me?"

         "I..."

         "Exactly," I said, shaking my head in disbelief. "See you at the apartment. I'm leaving," I told him.

         "Wait," he called, reaching for my arm.

         I pulled away before he could touch me, giving him a serious look. "Don't, okay?"

         "But-"

         "Don't."

_____________________________________________________________________

lol all they seem to do is fight XD