Chapter 29:

Recap (in case you forgot lol): 

“Sarah,” I greeted the blonde through gritted teeth. She was smiling, and dressed in only a tank top and booty shorts. Anger simmered through me at the sight of her. I could just imagine her lips on Sam's... it made me sick, and so did she.

                “Hey,” she said. “Is Sam in?”

                Oh. So she wasn’t even here to admit she’d made a move on Sam, like a good friend would do. Then again, the fact that she’d kissed him proved she wasn’t a friend at all.

                “No,” I told her shortly. “Bye, bye.”

                I slammed the door shut.

                Her stunned expression was priceless. Slut.

                “Katrina!” I heard her cry shrilly from behind the door. “What the hell? Open the door!”

                “No thanks,” I called, heading back to my bedroom. “You might try to bed my boyfriend again. Sorry, but that’s my job.”

                Sarah was silent.            

Chapter 29

                I was pretty sure Sarah would leave us alone after that, if she any decency and self-respect, but she was too damn persistent. 

                First came the visits. At least twice a day, she'd pound on our door and demand to be let in, for "a chance to explain" herself. Coincidentally, she would always come by when wasn't around. But I'd trained my boyfriend well, and not once did he answer the door, even when she threatened to kick it down.

                Next came the texts, both to Sam and me. I received the spiteful, bitchy ones while he got the apologetic, sickly sweet ones. When we compared them, it was hard to believe that both were from the same person.

                And finally, after weeks, she just...stopped.

                "Something's wrong," I said in the morning, when I checked my phone to find the only text messages I had received were from my mother, asking if we'd consider having a double wedding with one of her obese nieces.

                "No," said Sam, coming up from behind and wrapping his arms around my waist so he could plant a quick kiss on my cheek, "something's right. She's given up."

                "So suddenly?"

                He shrugged. "How else is she supposed to do it? Gradually?"

                "Well, yeah," I said slowly. "It just seems...weird."

                "Weird in what way?"

                "Nothing," I said after a few moments, shaking my head to clear my thoughts. "You're right. It is good. She was bloody annoying."

                Somehow, the words didn't sound right on my tongue. It was stupid, considering how much of a bitch she'd been to me, but I was a little concerned for her. Was she okay? 

                "Anyway," I said, finishing off my toast, "I'm going to head to work."

                "It's a bit early," Sam commented, checking his watch. "You have another half an hour yet."