Chapter 25: Argument

Chapter 25

               "Do we have to go?"

               Sam didn't seem too keen on spending an evening with Sarah, but she'd invited us and it seemed like a great way to overcome the awkwardness, now that they had broken up.

               I posed for the mirror, smiling. Yes. This was the dress. Not just any dress, the dress. It was a classic little black dress - not too revealing, stopping just before the knees, but still sexy. I smiled and turned towards Sam, who was lounging lazily on my bed. "Yes, we do," I told him seriously, before giving him a twirl. "What do you think of the dress?"

               He pursed his lips. "It's..."

               I felt my heart sink. This wasn't what I expected. He was supposed to smile and kiss me and tell me it looked gorgeous. "What?"

               Sam shook his head. "Nothing, Kat. It's lovely."

               He rested his hands behind his head in an attempt to look casual, but I knew him. I didn't have to be his girlfriend to see his clenched jaw and hard eyes. 

               Sighing, I perched next to him and placed a hand of his knee. "What's up?" I asked. "Do you not like it...?"

               He looked at me, expression softening. "I do. It's just a little... revealing."

               I ripped my hand away. "What? No it's not."

               My boyfriend rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Sure."

               I stood up and walked towards the mirror, looking more closely. Sure, the dress complimented me, but it wasn't slutty. It wasn't short, and it wasn't low-cut. Everyone's allowed to show a little bit of skin. "It looks fine to me."

               He shrugged. "Yeah. Sure."

               I folded my arms across my chest, getting a little irritated at his attitude. "Stop that."

               A smirk tugged at his lips, but he managed to force it down - with visible effort. "Stop what?" he asked me innocently.

               I slapped his arm lightly. "You know what. But seriously," I added anxiously, "is it that bad? I mean, I thought it looked-"

               "It's..." he paused. "I just don't like it."

               When he didn't continue, I bit my lip. "And why is that?" I urged.

               "I don't want people to look at you," he muttered so quietly I had to strain my ears to catch it.

               I blinked. "I'm not yours. People can look at me without your permission, thank you."

               "No, I didn't mean-"

               "No," I interrupted, outraged at his immaturity and lack of consideration towards my feelings. "I'll dress however I want. Who are you to tell me what I can and can't wear?"

               Sam looked away from me, raking a hand through his dark brown curls. "I never said you couldn't  wear it, Katrina."

               "No," I repeated, jabbing a finger into his chest, "but you were thinking it."

               "What the heck?" he cried, pushing my hand away and jumping to his feet to look down at me. "You're angry at me for something I was thinking? You have no idea what's going on in my head!"

               I threw my arms in frustration. "Yes I do! Because I'm your best friend!"

               "You're my girlfriend too."

               I nodded. "I know."

               "Well, sometimes, you don't act like it," he told me, acid leaking into his voice.

               "What?" I shouted, jaw dropping. Anger boiled up inside me. "What the hell is that supposed to mean, huh?"

               He rubbed his forehead, closing his eyes for a second. "Refusing to kiss me in public."

               Oh. The park. I laughed bitterly. "That was one time. And you were on top of me, Sam! There were kids around!"

               "Whatever, Katrina."

               I gritted my teeth. "You don't believe me, do you? God, you're an idiot. Why would I not want to kiss you in public?"

               He shrugged, dropping his eyes to the floor. "I don't know," he mumbled.

               I swallowed the lump in my throat. "You think I'm having second thoughts or something?" He didn't reply. I barked out another sharp laugh. "That's it, isn't it? Oh, for God's sake!" I strode forward, grabbed his face, and kissed him full on the mouth. The kiss was full of passion and a little bit of anger too. When we finally pulled away, I was out of breath. "There. Happy? I like you, Sam. Don't doubt that."

               He leaned down until we were at eye-level. "I'm sorry," he whispered sincerely. "Can we not fight? I hate it."

               "I hate fighting with you too," I admitted.

               "Great," he whispered, bending down to kiss me softly. I responded instantly, grabbing the collar of his shirt to pull him closer. I could feel him laughing through the kiss and, before long, I was laughing too.

               "We kind of lost track of the original argument," I said, gesturing towards the dress. "I am not your property, Sam." He opened his mouth to protest but I held up my hand, silencing him. "But I know you didn't mean it like that."

               Sam smiled, pushing a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "You... are amazing."

               "I know," I said simply, grinning. "And so are you."

____________________________________________________________________

Right. So this is probably the worst chapter I've written and it's not even long. I would've written more but I need to get ready because I'm going out tonight so I'll just put another chapter up tomorrow. <3

Oh, and vote! ;)