Chapter Twenty-Two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

With twin suns beating down from far above in the sky, the Avengers split into small groups. Clint and Paige joined with Steve heading down a path to the right. Cracked marble beneath their feet made small crunching noises every so often. Silence reigned except for bird noises as flocks flitted from tree to tree.

As Paige clambered over a fallen white column, she felt her magic buzzing inside. Something about the place they were in felt so intrinsically alive she couldn't even describe it to herself. It was like a beating heart. She looked down the path further. Dominating the sightlines stood a building like a gothic cathedral. It sat on a hill, and beneath it Paige fancied she could hear and smell the ocean. She took a moment to breathe.

"Keep moving, Pea," Clint said with a huff. He crawled over the column as well. "Or are you getting tired?"

Paige scoffed. "Just try to keep up!"

As they continued on, Steve looked back at them and gestured forward. They saw a contingent of the Asgardians led by Sif up ahead. He decided to wait for Clint and Paige. When they caught up he nodded. "Might be something important up there. We should go with the Asgardians."

"Agreed," Paige said. She flexed her fingers. "Something's up there. I can tell."

They both watched her curiously. She didn't respond to their silent questions, instead she stalked forward with purpose. Something was up there. Every hair on her body stood on end whenever she looked at the cathedral.

The walk up to the cathedral took nearly an hour. As they drew closer, they realized they were in fact climbing beside a massive ocean. Broken columns and statues lined the way up. Paige couldn't read their inscriptions but she figured them to be religious in nature. Half way up they found one still in tact. Sculpted of off white stone and pearl, it depicted a woman with a star and a sun, one in each hand. Her marble dress fell loosely all over her body.

"I wonder who she was," murmured Paige as they stood at her feet.

Clint said, "Clearly someone important."

"Thanks, genius. It's no wonder you're an Avenger."

Steve laughed behind his hand. "Come on. Be nice." He looked up the path to where a few Asgardians trailed. "Let's catch up."

They did so. The handful of Asgardians they found looked back at them in confusion but didn't object to their presence. The Lady Sif still walked ahead of them, and Paige eagerly wanted to catch up to her. She hurried herself along, leaving Steve and Clint to bring up the rear.

"Lady Sif, right?" Paige asked after a moment, walking beside her.

Sif glanced her way with a nod. "Yes."

"This land, it was run by my people, right?" Paige looked around at another broken, cracked sculpture at the side of the road. "The Vanir?"

Sif nodded. "The Vanir lived here tens of thousands of years ago somewhat in isolation." She moved forward and gestured to each side. "Asgardians have been taught the history of the War that destroyed Vanaheim. From here, the surviving leaders of the Vanir moved to Alfheim with the Light Elves and became their monarchs."