Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

Paige still couldn't wrap her head around the knowledge that she, somehow, was related to Thor, the Avenger. As she walked quietly behind Natasha with Clint bring up the rear, she slipped in a single earbud and turned on her music.

"Fury's in his private conference room," Natasha told them as they stopped for an elevator. "I just told him we're on the way. He finished talking to the Council."

When the elevator arrived, they took it to the ground floor. From there, Clint and Natasha walked Paige down a side hallway. Here they finally stopped before a grey door. Scanning a Shield ID, Clint let them inside. Maria Hill and Nick Fury both sat inside. A holographic projection of a tall man with greying hair stood in the corner of the room. At the intrusion of Clint, Natasha, and Paige, all three stopped talking.

"What's the result?" Fury asked immediately.

"Yes," drawled the holographic man, "We are looking forward to finding out what this woman can do." Then he nodded to Natasha and Clint. "Good to see both of you."

Natasha nodded right back. "Councilman Malick." Then she gestured to Paige. "According to the DNA test she's at least part Asgardian, and part something else alien. We have nothing to cross reference it with. But she's also related to Thor somehow."

"I was reading Agent Barton's report on your activities," said Fury with a small nod, though they could all tell the mention of Thor caught him off guard. He flipped through a file that sat before him on the table. "It says here you've been fighting MS-13 in various areas of the country."

"Not just MS-13," she objected immediately. "Anyone participating in gang violence or human trafficking."

Fury looked at her carefully. Turning to Hill, he saw her nod and returned it. "Malick?"

"I still want her for testing," said the man. "It's possible her abilities, especially an Asgardian healing factor, could be used to enhance our own lives."

Natasha's left eyebrow shot up. "With all due respect, Councilman, sticking this woman in a lab for testing is a waste of her skills."

"I agree," added Fury. "I think she'd be better served-"

"Don't tell me you're adding her to the Avengers Initiative," Malick said with a scoff. "She's a criminal."

Clint folded his arms. "So were we. And yet you trust us as top level agents."

Paige's eyes widened. She looked between Clint and Natasha briefly before facing Fury. Suddenly his words had sunk in. "Wait, Avengers Initiative?"

"Don't let it go to your head," Fury told her quickly. "We would still need to clear you, and it would start as a trial period. We need to track down Thor and find out your relation to him. It's likely he'll have answers to some of the questions we still have."