Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

They had already waited an hour. Paige scrolled through her phone, using the money that Clint had gotten for her somewhere to buy music and books. They sat inside the medical ward waiting for someone to come get them for testing. At this point she was more than a little irritated. At least when out on her own she didn't have to waste time like that. She and the other two agents looked up as the sliding doors opened and two women and a man walked in.

The second woman shook her head and spoke, her soft British accent hardened by annoyance. "We're not getting a monkey, Fitz!"

"Hear me out," argued the man, "it could do all the dirty work for us. And it would fit right in with Ward."

The woman who hadn't spoken gave the tiniest hint of a smirk before glancing over and noticing Natasha and Clint. She paused and folded her arms. "Well if it isn't the Avengers."

"Agent May," Natasha said with a smile. "Back in the field after all? Didn't you go to paper pushing a while ago?"

She shrugged. "Decided it was time to get back out there."

Clint got up and shook her hand. " Been awhile."

"Are you still as bad at flying as you were when I last saw you?" May smirked as he rolled his eyes. Then she turned back to her companions. "Agent Leopold Fitz and Agent Jemma Simmons."

"What an honor," replied Jemma with a grin. "The Black Widow and Hawkeye!"

Clint shook his head in amusement at her tone. Then he turned to Fitz. "I believe I have you to thank for the hearing aids?"

Fitz brightened up. "Yeah, well, I did my best. I know it's hard to design a hearing aid that works during missions. I hope it's working, at least. I believe it is." He trailed off, "I could've used a monkey to test it on..."

"They work great," Clint assured him.

May folded her arms, looking at Paige again. Then she turned to Clint and Natasha. "What brings you two to medical? I've heard the stories of how you try as hard as you can to avoid it."

"This is Paige Wilson," Natasha began, gesturing to the young woman who stayed seated on the chairs. "We're trying to get dna profiling done for her but no one's been helping. You two wouldn't happen to be able to do it would you?" She turned to Fitz and Jemma.

"Yeah, sure, should be easy enough," Fitz agreed. "That is, if Agent May doesn't need us any further?"

She shrugged. "I can drop these files off on my own."

Clint nodded to Fitz and Jemma. "Good. Let's get this done."

"Now, where to go," Jemma murmured to herself. She looked around in circles and finally caught sight of something that intrigued her among the bustling few agents and doctors. "Ah! There. Come on, Paige."