Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

When Natasha walked into the Lounge at six that morning, she found Clint draped over the couch with Lucky on his stomach. Tony had fallen asleep in a chair next to him. Three cups of coffee which had been drunk to varying degrees sat on the table. When she heard the balcony door open, Natasha glanced over to find Paige heading back inside.

"Good morning," Natasha said to her as she came inside.

As soon as she'd spoken the words, Lucky leapt up from Clint's stomach, digging his claws into him, and tore over to Natasha. His tail wagged a mile a minute. Startled into wakefulness, Clint ripped a gun from his pocket and pointed it at Natasha. Paige raised her arms across her chest defensively but Natasha didn't flinch except for a frown that went all the way to her eyes.

"Shit! Nat," heaved Clint breathlessly as his hand started to shake and he dropped the gun down. By now Tony had woken up from the commotion. "God, don't - ugh." He stood and turned away, grabbing at his chest. He moved behind the couch. Lucky ran over to him and he closed his eyes at the gentle nudge the dog gave his legs. His support.

"Wha... the hell," muttered Tony as he yawned and stretched. He looked between Natasha and Clint. "We good, guys?"

Clint turned and nodded. "Yeah, we're fine. I've got to take Lucky on a walk." He glanced at Natasha briefly before turning back to Tony. "Can you get Paige situated with clothes like we talked about."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course." Tony let his gaze linger on Clint for a moment longer before turning to Paige. "What do you like to wear?"

"Clothes," she deadpanned.

Tony paused, and then he rolled his eyes. "Hilarious. Come on. I think Steve wanted to head down to Barnes and Noble this morning." He paused and glanced up at the ceiling. "Hey Jarvis, where's Steve?"

"Captain Rogers is currently in the work out room on level sixty-one."

"Put me through, J."

"Of course."

"Steve, do you still want to head to the bookstore? Natasha wants us to get clothes for Paige." Tony waited for Steve's response, crossing his arms over his chest.

After a moment, he responded. "Yeah. What time?"

Tony glanced at his phone. "Leave in an hour?"

"Right."

Tony thanked Jarvis and turned back to the room. "Have fun with Lucky," he said, noticing Clint trying to sneak out the elevator. "Where are you taking him?"

"We usually go to Bryant Park," Clint replied. At those words, the dog started running in circles. Clint grinned. "Yeah guess we're going there." He crouched down and spoke to Lucky. "Gimme a minute! I've got to change."